The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Are You Hooked on Brookies?

I was just contemplating things today (general stuff regarding fly fishing, after all, what else is there to contemplate about?) when I realized how hooked on brookies I am.

Honestly, brook trout in my book are number one on my list of fish. Some say they are dumb and easily caught. I say they are just as clever as any other trout, and they have the aggression of a piranha.

When life is chaotic, my mind goes to gorgeous, orange bellied, vibrant brook trout, and a setting almost as pretty as the fish.

Brook trout just seem to embody the essence of the "X" factor that makes fly fishing fullfilling on so many levels.

I believe Brook trout are the prettiest of all fish, and perhaps the most fun to catch.

For example, I took a trip to the San Juan, nine hours away from my home. it was the best fishing of my life, but not the most fulfilling. Don't get me wrong, I am having withdrawals from that place, but there is something so special about catching wild bookies from a gurgling stream, the challenge of the cast, presenting the fly correctly. Brook trout have taught me more about what fly fishing means than anything else.

I took time away from the San Juan to chase brookies in the mountains of Colorado. That is where I caught my first.

On the way home I stopped by a stream that is now my favorite. What else could it be but a brook trout stream?

And while I was on that miniscule stream, throwing a tiny dry fly, stalking the trout, stepping softly, staying low to the ground, I realized I would trade all the twenty inch fish in the world for a single place so perfect as a brook trout stream.

Seriously, Is anyone else as much of a brook trout lover as I am?

I am MORE than happy to catch any other fish on this planet, so long as I am fishing. But given the choice, I'll take a brook trout stream any day.

I don't know why I wrote this. perhaps to see if anybody else is crazy as I am. maybe to share a part of what makes fly fishing special to me. Maybe I just wanted to share the rambling of a sixteen-year-old addicted to fly fishing. Who knows.

Some of you wont get it. If You don't, you've obviously never caught a brookie. Hopefully it wont stay that way for long.

Click the image to open in full size.
rccola712 likes this.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I think part of it has to do with where you find brookies. Small stream fishing is definitely my favorite, and brookies tend to be found in the most pristine ones. Plus you can't beat their willingness to attack a dry fly! While I don't have many opportunities to fish for brookies in my area, my first time fishing for them definitely had most the hallmarks you're speaking about.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are You Hooked on Brookies?

I really like brookies. They are fun to catch because they are "easy" to catch and you cant beat them for looks of a freshwater fish. I just wish I was closer then 5-6 hours from them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

We're on the same page, brookies equal peace of mind, solitude and wild places. Small, who cares what blueline brookies lack in size they make up for in beauty and aggression. Kind of an interesting combo!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier in the year, all I could think about was brookies.
This time of year though is bluefish season and that's my favorite fish on the fly.
Those that do battle with the yellow-eyed devil know what I mean.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip tide View Post
earlier in the year, all i could think about was brookies.
This time of year though is bluefish season and that's my favorite fish on the fly.
Those that do battle with the yellow-eyed devil know what i mean.

absolutely!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

First fly rod caught fish was a bluefish in the Mudflats of Leonardo NJ on a used Orvis HLS 9'6" 9wt and a old Lamson. If ever there was a comparable fish in fresh water I'd like to think its the brookie (when the conditions are right of course). First time I was in Yellowstone we stopped to fish Lava Creek and little wolf packs of brookies would come out from under every logjam and maul my little caddis. The first thing I said was these are as vicious as blues!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of another fish that I have caught or targeted that is more beautiful than a wild brookie. The scarlet belly, deep green, white tipped fins and the spots. When they are colored up for spawn, they are gorgeous. I also really love the colors of a wild brown. The best part of chasing wild fish is that I love being in their surroundings. When you're chasing wild trout, throw size out of the window. While I enjoy fishing a the medium and larger sized streams, small streams are a pretty special experience for me. As frustrating as it can be at times, every cast counts given the obstacles one might encounter. As I write this, I am imagining my three of most favorite wild trout streams...

Nice post thanks for the daydream.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

I first caught Brook trout in the Great Smoky Mountains
it was a male in the autumn... they have a unique coloring...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I can't think of another fish that I have caught or targeted that is more beautiful than a wild brookie. The scarlet belly, deep green, white tipped fins and the spots. When they are colored up for spawn, they are gorgeous. I also really love the colors of a wild brown. The best part of chasing wild fish is that I love being in their surroundings. When you're chasing wild trout, throw size out of the window. While I enjoy fishing a the medium and larger sized streams, small streams are a pretty special experience for me. As frustrating as it can be at times, every cast counts given the obstacles one might encounter. As I write this, I am imagining my three of most favorite wild trout streams...

Nice post thanks for the daydream.

Ditto. my second favorite trout species! From the same creek as the brook trout: