The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM

dave7777 is on a distinguished road
Wink Which no. 3 reel?

I am putting together a #3 rig for fun - panfish, perhaps largemouth. The rod I selected is the Hardy Marksman 7-foot, a medium fast action. I need a really light reel. Looking at the Ross Vexsis, Bauer Rogue, and Lamson Litespeed. I use a Ross F1 on my #5 but thinking of trying something new for the #3. I would appreciate any thoughts and experiences with these three reels or other #3 suggestions. Low maintenance is important and I don't care for cork drags. Thank you.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which no. 3 reel?

All three are nice reels, but do you really need a disk or conical drag for a three weight? For such a light rod, you may want to consider a classic click drag style reel like a Hardy Flyweight or Featherweight. The click drags are strong enough to keep the reel from going into free spool. Plus most click drag reels are lighter than disk drag reels within the same line weight category.

Other quality click drag reels come from Islander and Abel.

Dennis
Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

I've had good luck with this over the years - Cortland Sterling Mid Arbor Fly Reel - runs about $150.00 U.S. Extra spools can be had and my experience with their factory service has been exceptional. This model will handle what they advertise.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Hardy Flyweight for 3 wt. lightweight for larger, love my Hardys
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:56 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

One of my three weight rods has a P-1 Waterworks, super light reel at 2.7 oz, and the other has a Cortland Vista DM XS at 4.3 oz. Both are super reels but the P-1 weighs in at a bit less and thereby balances my 7'9" rod perfectly while the Vista is on a nice ft rod which is a bit heavier. Can't go too far wrong with either. The one outfit weighs in at around 5 oz while the other tips the scale at close to 7.5 ozs. Both are a delight to fish with but the longer gives reach when needed, avoiding lily pads for instance, and more strength in the butt while the shorter one is close to the ultimate in lightness and perfect for small stream fishing.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Great suggestion on trying a click - I have never used one. About time I tried! Looking over click reels any thoughts on the Hardy Ultralite CC2000?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM

chris_n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7777 View Post
Great suggestion on trying a click - I have never used one. About time I tried! Looking over click reels any thoughts on the Hardy Ultralite CC2000?
I love Ross and Hardy makes some great stuff but lately Lamson has me really stoked about their stuff. I agree with the gentleman above about the drag systems but I would still suggest a conical drag system on a light weight setup some Lamson has my vote. I have hooked into some decent size fish on my 3wt twig and boy I was glad to have a nice drag. All of Lamsons reels have a awesome and I mean super smooth, super solid conical drag system.

That is what I would suggest personally, all good options though. 3 wt's are a blast on some small mountain streams etc. fun setup for sure.

Cheers
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Of the three reels you mention, I only have experience with the Lamson. I have no complaints with any Litespeed or ULA reel I've ever fished, and the drag is super smooth. I use a Litespeed 1 on my 3wt and have never needed the drag, but I'm glad to have it.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

If you want a quality, light reel without breaking the bank I would consider an older Battenkill 3/4 or a Scientific Angler System 4 or 5 reel. Both are English made click and pawl reels and can be found on Ebay in excellent used condition for about $100, give or take $25.

The SA System 4 was made by Hardy and is exactly the same reel as the Hardy Marquis #4. I think the Battenkill was made by either Hardy or BFR. For a light weight reel they may not have the tradition or mystique of one of the Hardy Lightweight series reels but you get much more bang for the buck, IMO, and can always pretty much get your money back if you decide to sell them.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM

I am finding a lot of reels on ebay. I found that the Hardy Angle 2 Featherweight is a click reel in the 2/3 and 3/4 wt. Kind of pricey but it certainly looks good. Anyone had experience with it?