The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM

wadebinkley is on a distinguished road
Default Need help!!

My wife brought me a pfleuger medalist 8ft 3 piece 5/6 wt rod for my birthday last year. I have been attempting to fish with it until my flyline got curls in it. I bought new fly line wf5f that I can cast without a fly or popper about 50-60 ft. With a popper though I can't make it but about 15 ft. I am using a #15 straight leader.

I need some help/ advice. I know that without the popper I have an alright loop while casting, but I just don't know why the popper is slowing it down so much.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 08-11-2012, 03:19 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Need help!!

How long is your leader? What is the size of your popper?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 PM

wadebinkley is on a distinguished road

Its an assorted pack that I bought from Walmart. I don't know the exact size. But my leader was about 8 feet. But I cut it back to about 6 and still had the same problem.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

To little information to answer the question.

I suspect it is a combination of casting shortcomings and whether the rod/line/leader is appropriate for the popper. To be more specific, I need more information.

I need some sense of how large the popper is and how much it weighs. Post a photo of the popper next to a dime. It would help to know the brand and model of the fly line and the length and "X" size of the leader.

A video of your cast with and without the popper would be the best.

You wrote, "I have been attempting to fish with it until my flyline got curls in it." Fly line generally does not "get curls" unless the caster uses twists the line due to an oval casting motion. Hence, the need for a video.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The cheap little poppers that come in the round dispenser box that you can find anywhere are a size 10
The better quality 6 pack of Betts poppers that W*lmart sells are 8s and 10s.
I believe that they also sell the individual Betts poppers in blister packs, size 8 and 6. None larger.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Size 6 could be pushing the limit of a 5 line depending on how they are dressed. 8's and 10's should be no problem. 15# mono is much heavier than needed for small poppers. An 8# straight leader should be plenty at about 6'. It could be a fly line issue since it sounds like he can cast 75' without the leader so it doesn't sound like a line problem.

Have you tried casting a small fly with a 6 or 8# leader?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:02 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest starting with a tapered 9 foot 3X leader cut back to 7.5 feet. That will remove most of the tippet and leave you with a 3x or possibly 2X end to the leader. This should be able to handle those size poppers.

If you are still having problems start cutting the leader back at 6" increments. That will allow you to match the amount of energy you are able to generate with the size of the fly so that the energy can extend the leader and fly.

Start with only 10 feet of fly line out of the rod and then lengthen the casts as you are able to completely extend the shorter casts. Do not start with a 50 ft casts. You need to first determine the what your optimum casting distance is.

Also I want to know if the 75 foot cast is with a leader and fly. There is a difference between casting a fly line alone and a line with a leader and a fly, even if that fly is not a popper.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 PM

coachbob is on a distinguished road

Look at this video starting at about 3:30
or this one starting about 4:00