The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 PM

steely is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 wt ***** creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
sorry I made you ruin you keyboard. seeing as I am so new I shouldn't buy a 3wt cause I might not cast it right or something lol.?? um hold on people r way confused I think. this is not a bass rod. 1st I will be using this 3 wt for basically gills. I have never caught a bass over 10 inches so far so I am not too worried about that.. also I am not gonna use size 8 bass flies to target bass. more of less I will use small spiders,beetles and hoppers and drys. although some foam hoppers I made were size 8 as to why I said size 8 or smaller flies. basically this is a top water panfish rod. as for the leader loop. it came seperate. its not attached to the leader. here is a pic. I have a 5/6 weight for windy and bigger fish and a 8 weight for steelhead. I got a 3 weight to round out the mix. plus I heard its great for panfishing. so why should I send it back? there don't seem to be nothing wrong with it really? heres the pic of that leader loop thing. know how to use it?
1) as far as "not casting it right", I dont care how you cast it, but you said you were using size 8 foam bass bugs. Casting one of those on a 3 weight would be like trying to cast a 3 weight line on a 10 weight rod! Glad the flies you are using are smaller.

I would still take the rod outside with a fly you will be using to see if you can cast it. It goes like this: A heavy fly is not cast by the rod, but cast by the energy in the fly line. The fly line is cast by the fly rod. A lightweight fly line simply wont have the energy to cast a big ol bug.

"I heard its great for panfishing". A 3 weight is awesome for fish under the size of 12 inches, UNLESS you get a stiff breeze.

Leader loop: ok, it was something else. Does it have a braided slip on opposite end of loop? If so, you simply slide fly line into center of braided slip on leader loop connector and secure with small shrink tube sleeve.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:25 PM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

George,

The braided part of the leader loop should slip over the end of the fly line, then have a piece of heat-shrink that you put over the end of the braided section to keep it from coming apart/falling off.

On my #8 rod they always fall apart pretty quick, they just can't seem to take the force of a heavy weighted fly. Might work better on your #3 then they have for me though.

--W
Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

thanks guys and steely I misunderstood you at 1st. thanks for the tips on the bigger bugs not working. I am sure I would of found out real quick. what size flys do you recommend for a 3wt ? also you say this is great for trout but we don't have any small trout in the rivers here only stocked steelies. wish we had some streams 7000 feet up! that would rock. oh about the drag issue it was just stiff and after playing with it for a minute it got loose and you can feel the drag now. this seems like it will be fun to use this summer! I can't wait we have lots of these river chubs around that we always seem to catch when fishing for gills and rock bass and those will be fun on this rod also. thanks I will not use the finger trap leader loop thing since you don't recommend it.. pretty sweet rod and reel combo. after writing steve from the full creel. he helped alot and he told me how the drag was stiff and to try to break it in but said if it was broke or anything he would replace it asap! shows to me hes a good guy and runs a good business and forum!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd stay you're best of to stick with flies size 12 and smaller on the 3wt.

Hooking into steel on a 3wt might be the ultimate example of taking a knife to a gun fight.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't even test it cliff. those big monster steelies around here would make short work of this 3 wt lol. I got me my 8wt for that! the steelies here can get up to 12 or more pounds!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
thanks guys and steely I misunderstood you at 1st. thanks for the tips on the bigger bugs not working. I am sure I would of found out real quick. what size flys do you recommend for a 3wt ? also you say this is great for trout but we don't have any small trout in the rivers here only stocked steelies. wish we had some streams 7000 feet up! that would rock. oh about the drag issue it was just stiff and after playing with it for a minute it got loose and you can feel the drag now. this seems like it will be fun to use this summer! I can't wait we have lots of these river chubs around that we always seem to catch when fishing for gills and rock bass and those will be fun on this rod also. thanks I will not use the finger trap leader loop thing since you don't recommend it.. pretty sweet rod and reel combo. after writing steve from the full creel. he helped alot and he told me how the drag was stiff and to try to break it in but said if it was broke or anything he would replace it asap! shows to me hes a good guy and runs a good business and forum!
Hey Georgey, just take your flyline to a flyshop and ask them to tie a butt section to the end of the flyline, with a loop on the end:

rod ) = end of rod ) = loop
--------------------)___________)
butt section shock aborber tied to end of fly ine
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM

cool unfortunatly we don't have fly shops around. well maybe one? oh well I will just do what I always do. connect the leader with a trusty nail knot.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
cool unfortunatly we don't have fly shops around. well maybe one? oh well I will just do what I always do. connect the leader with a trusty nail knot.
A nail knot is all you would use. Make sure the butt leader is about 2/3 to 3/4ths th diameter of the fly line tho. Actually I have some .21 diameter butt leader with a loop that I can send you that would work great if you want to send me a SASE. Just going to the one fly shop or even tackle shop would be easier tho. Just show them the fly line and ask them to nail knot a foot of 20 pound amnesia on with a loop.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

One other tip, keep the tippet you're fishing on that 3wt to no stronger than 3x, or maybe even 4x. Tippet is much easier to replace when broken than a rod.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 PM

ok thanks guys. I make my own leaders too so I can make one just right for a 3wt. keep ya posted. I can't try it out on fish for 3 months anyways.