The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default 3 wt ***** creek

I am interested in a 3wt rod for summer panfishing since I hear there alotta fun. I seen this ***** creek prowler fly rod and there teflatech adjustable drag reel. the rod has a unconditional warranty. anyone have one of these? are they any good?
***** Creek
***** Creek

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3 wt ***** creek

ok I can't help myself with fly stuff and I am always looking for a bargain! I had to act "and spend" fast! on ebay I found the ***** creek 3wt combo I was talking about and its from the full creel. you get the brand new prowler rod 8 foot 3 wt with unconditional warranty. you get the teflatec reel in 3wt. you get a rod and reel case with ***** creek logo, some 3 weight floating line and backing and a 5x leader. then you get a free how to cast better book and a fly fishing cd. all for 123 bux! wow Happy new year to me!!!! the combo on the full creel is 199 bux without the book and cd! hope this is a good combo. I always wanted a 3wt. can anyone with a 3wt tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of a 3wt? I am gonna use this for summer gill and bass fishing. I now have a 3 wt, a 5/6 weight and a 8wt

Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 PM

so anyone have a 3wt? if ya do whats the differences between the 3 wt and say a 5 or 8 wt? I mean I kno its lighter line. but is there like better sensitivity? is it easier to cast drys and small flies softer than a bigger weight rod? whats the advantages and disadvantage? do I got to be real easy with it or something? just want any tips and stuff from a person with a 3wt.. kinda wanna knwo what to expect since i gotta wait till spring or summer to try it out.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've got a 7' and a 8'6" 3wt. 3's are great for throwing small/light flies to smaller fish on days without too much wind. If you're going to be fishing flies size 10 or smaller, and don't expect any fish to be over 3 lbs, there's no more fun stick to grab.

That said, I've landed a 8lb carp on my short one. TONS of fun.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

GeorgeMcFly,
I also have a ***** Creek 3wt and it does everything that Big Cliff says it will do. Although, mine has only caught some skinny bass and bream of late. You can pick one up at The Full Creel Fly Shop. Also, check out their line of Echo Rods. The Echo Classic 3 wt is a peach of a rod.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM

thanks good to kno! the full creel is the seller on ebay too. so its from them but I just got it through ebayinstead of from there site. glad someone else has one! I can't wait to try it out now! too bad I got to wait till spring or summer . basically I was gonna use this 3wt for top water fishing with dries and foam bugs prolly size 8 and smaller.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

George,

I use my 3wt. just as you are describing. In addition to bass and panfish, it is the rod I prefer to fish for trout unless fly size, wind, or big fish prohibit. But note that I'm only referring to top water in both cases. If I am nymphing, I typically won't fish the 3wt. Just my preference, take it for what it's worth.

It might be due to my limitations as a caster and fisherman but there are two things I noticed this year when fishing bass with the 3wt. and 5wt. I had problems with the weight and wind resistance of some of the bass bugs with the 3wt. where the 5wt. would throw them well. I also missed more hooksets on bass takes with the 3wt. There were a few times on the float tube where I had both rigs on the boat and missed fish after fish with the 3. Switched over to the 5 with the same fly, presentation, and retrieve and started hooking up.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mike,

A three weight is a fairly soft rod and you may need to strip-strike instead of striking with the rod tip. From what you said this may help you get more hook-ups. You may also be getting too much slack in the line and the 3wt doesn't have enough back bone to over come the slack.

Frank
Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Mike,

A three weight is a fairly soft rod and you may need to strip-strike instead of striking with the rod tip. From what you said this may help you get more hook-ups. You may also be getting too much slack in the line and the 3wt doesn't have enough back bone to over come the slack.

Frank
Thank You Frank. That makes a lot of sense. I knew it was most likely a problem with the mechanic and not the tool. Can't wait to work on that come Spring. I love fighting bass on the 3wt.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM

when I set the hook I lift the rod up and strip it and the same time. I am not lifting the rod that hard tho. usually it sets it right in the corner of the mouth that way, unless they engulf it. I have missed my fair share also though so don't feel bad. one time I kept missing strike after strike , then I switched and I used a smaller size bug and started catching um. guess the fish were too small for the hooks. lol