The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing with a DSLR

Didnt know which thread to post this in but here I am. Lately I have been carrying my 60D in a waterproof hunting pack with a tamron 10-24, a fairly heavy and long lense. It's hot out so I do not fish with a vest but keep most of my things in the pack. Come fall I will be wearing a vest again and no backpack. Im wondering how you guys fish with bulky and expensive camera gear? Especially with just a fest? I will probably bring a single 50mm prime just to lighten up the setup and keep it simple. Thanks, zack.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Fishing with a DSLR

I bring a waterproof point and shoot. I have enough fishing gear w/o adding a bunch of (heavy) photography equipment.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

I keep it in a backpack. I usually find a place to sit the backpack down on the bank while I'm fishing. Just gotta remember to pick it up before moving upstream.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Sagebrush Dry - Simply the finest waterproof bags for recreation available anywhere.

This is the best (only) option. IMO
I use the hip pack and it is flawless.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:39 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I generally carry a waterproof camera but when I carry my dSLR, I carry it (Canon 7D) in a satchel dry bag. I will post a picture shortly but it was very reasonable in price and has yet to allow any water (tested in severe thunderstorm & partial immersion).

Another option is the 'seal-pak'. I have also heard of good reviews on the following dry waist pack. This particular one is sold by REI, so you might want to check it in person to evaluate fit etc..

SealLine Seal PackŪ
Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I used to carry my DSLR but i had too many bad visions of me tripping and dunking it into the water and being screwed. So I bought a waterproof P&S. Now if its somewhere new that I might not be able to go back to, I will take the DSLR with me just so I can have the picture quality but generally it stays at home. I pull the battery grip off mine and tuck it down the front of my waders. Kinda makes some moves awkward but it keeps it dry

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Now do a little research on how much of that large fine has actually been paid. Little, if any money has actually been handed over to the Gov.. Most of these large fines are never paid by these large corporations. The fines that are paid are taken out of thier taxes. It is all a joke. I could go on and on.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

Wrong thread ditz? Haha.

Thanks for thetips guys, Im going to look into a proper bag I think now, as I really want to keep bringing the camera out!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
I generally carry a waterproof camera but when I carry my dSLR, I carry it (Canon 7D) in a satchel dry bag. I will post a picture shortly but it was very reasonable in price and has yet to allow any water (tested in severe thunderstorm & partial immersion).

Another option is the 'seal-pak'. I have also heard of good reviews on the following dry waist pack. This particular one is sold by REI, so you might want to check it in person to evaluate fit etc..

SealLine Seal PackŪ
Checked out the Seal pak because it was priced so nice but they made sure I knew it was NOT submersible. Just figure it's a good disclaimer.
Good in the rain but don't fall in.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM

montanawildoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Definitely a dry bag in a backpack. Not expensive and will save your gear if you take a spill!