The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Ordered a 2wt today

I've never had a 2wt rod, as 4wt is the lightest I've owned so far. I ordered Redington's 'Classic Trout' in a 7'6" , 2wt this afternoon. I think this might be a good rod for the 'tight quarter' Brookies up here on the mountain streams. Now to pair it with an appropriate reel and line set up.

I am anxious to try the 2wt. Any pointers out there on issues I might encounter with a rod this light as compared to heavier rods, or longer, rods ?

Michael
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ordered a 2wt today

Love my 7' 2wt. Paired it with an orvis battenkill, I wanted a good and light reel. I use a furled leader with it and it casts beautifully. It's a bit tough casting into the wind though but used it to catch some beautiful browns on a creek near Silverthorne last Saturday.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Maybe it's just me, but it seems line selection is pretty important with little rods like yours. If you could cast it with several before buying one it might help you make a good decision. You're going to love it if you like feeling your rod load close in...-Mike
Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Cabela's has the Sage Click on sale right now, I've never touched one and it's a little more expensive, but worth a look.

There are still some Lamson Litespeeds (previous generation) on close-out if you can find them.

I've got a TFO BVK -0- on my 2wt, I like it.
Click the image to open in full size.

Good luck, congrats and enjoy the new 2wt.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Michael,
I have two of the CT8036 rods (3wt, 6piece) because I really enjoy them and find them perfect for my backpacking small stream trips. Once you cast you rod a bit, you will notice that choosing a very lightweight reel may not be the best choice since these rods are a bit tip heavy. I have found that the CFO III, Cortland Retro 2 seem to do a nice job on balancing my 8036 model.
Since your 2wt is shorter, perhaps the Cortland Retro I might be fine. I prefer to go with 'classic' click and pawl type of reels on my very light rods (2wt, 3wt). Casting these light rods is a lot of fun and really spoils you since they are very sensitive and help you feel even the smallest of the fish.

As far as line is concerned, the Sage Quiet Performance Double Taper (on closeout these days) works wonderfully with my 3wt & should be perfect for your 2wt. In fact there is a 2wt version of this line on sale on the auction site. In my opinion you do not need a weight forward line on these light rods. Further, the CT series are very 'traditional' casting slow rods so the 1/2 heavy lines (GPX, Grand etc) are cumbersome on it.

Casting into a strong wind is pretty hopeless with a 2wt, but I am sure you already knew that
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking of getting a 2wt and targeting pumpkinseeds and other sunfish , and the like. They are considered trash by many folks, but they are omnipresent in so many ponds, and so many people ignore them. I'm thinking they might be good sport if a suitable rod were to be in my arsenal.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
you will notice that choosing a very lightweight reel may not be the best choice since these rods are a bit tip heavy.
I have found this as well, after you mentioned it in another thread...good call imo.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Since I'm limited to very easy wading or shore fishing(bad wheel till surgery), I bought a Cabela's LSI 7'6" 2 weight with a Redington Drift reel. I love it! Used it on some trout fishing and ALOT of gillies. I have Prestige plus line on it and it throws quite well for a small rig.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I have found this as well, after you mentioned it in another thread...good call imo.
So true. I paired my 8'6" superfine touch to a lamson litespeed (1 or 1.5) and the tip feels heavy now. Same reel balances perfectly with my 7' 4wt helios tho. Oh well...gonna have to get a new 3wt reel.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
I've been thinking of getting a 2wt and targeting pumpkinseeds and other sunfish , and the like. They are considered trash by many folks, but they are omnipresent in so many ponds, and so many people ignore them. I'm thinking they might be good sport if a suitable rod were to be in my arsenal.
Yes indeed. I'm taking a newbie out tomorrow and bringing along a superfine full flex 3wt for him to try out with some poppers. A) he'll be able to feel the rod load B) with tiny poppers the blue gill will be eager and top water will help him see and set the hook... C) the lightweight rod bend from a small fish.

I use the same rod/reel pairing for summer days on a spring creek. Adding that 3wt has been a big plus all the way around.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I fish a TFO 6' 2wt for BG and SMB in the local small creeks and I just love it. I did not like it with a 2WF. I over lined it with DT and it is great. I now hate to dig out my heavier rods and only do when I go to the salt or more open water with wind. Wind is seldom a problem on these sheltered creeks but is a problem on rare occassions. I have a Pfleuger 1494 reel on mine. It is slightly butt heavy but works fine for me. Short is good and unless you need to cast large heavy flies or poppers there is little reason to go heavier IMO. I would suggest that any reel you choose should have room for 100yds of backing and at least an open rim for fish control or better yet a decent drag and open rim. A carp, drum, or catfish will take you for a real ride.