The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 AM

mariuch is on a distinguished road
Default Salmon Spey rod

1.Hi fellas, Im new to fly fishing in general, but interested in getting a spey rod for salmon fishing upstate in the pulaski. Im on a tight budget since I just built a sage one for steelhead in the winter. I was looking at building Rainshadow RX7 Spey 4 piece, or buying a echo tr, echo dh, or tfo deer creek. ( 9 weight). Building the rainshow is substantially cheaper, but not sure on how they perform. Anybody got any input on any of these rods. All ideas and comments are welcome.

2. I have a lamson velocity 3.5x than i plan to attach to whatever i decide in buying, just getting a separate spool. Any ideas on line. It gets a little confusing; skagit line to Atlantic Salmon Spey from S.A.

Again all comments are welcome Thanks Mario
Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Salmon Spey rod

I can't speak for the Rainshadow, but the Allen Olympic series is another option (they may also be selling just the blanks for it now). I have one in the 12' 5wt and I really like it. Little slower action compared to a lot of modern spey rods, with a nice deep flex and a lot of power (I've been using it for carp lately, it's great fun). The Olympic series has got a lot of good reviews and Justin at Allen gives a pretty good price for forum members. The guys at Allen can also give you some good suggestions on what lines to pair with that rod.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. I have no experience with the Rainshadow blank.

If you plan on fishing a 9 weight Spey rod, your reel will have to be much larger than a Lamson Konic 3.5. You will need a reel that will accommodate an 11 or 12 weight line. Spey lines do not follow the same AFTMA line standards.

Your line decision will depend on the fly that you want to present. If you are tying sparse traditional flies, Scandi head or a traditional Spey line is the way to go. If you are planning to throw flies that are the size of half a chicken or rabbit, go Skagit.

Dennis
Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

qec is on a distinguished road

I fish the Salmon River (NY) quite a bit. I have a couple of the Forecast RX6 13' 8/9 spey blanks. You mentioned the Rainshadown RX7 which is the next step up from what I have. I think the blanks are fine if not a little heavy. However most of that river can be fished with a switch rod. I now use a Rainshadown 11'9" 8wt switch rod almost exclusively there. There are places on the river for the bigger rod but day in and out I use the switch. Landed plenty of kings with it so you will not be out gunned unless you hook a monster.
I would save your money and buy an Angler's Roost blank for $40 ( he also has inexpensive cork and reel seats) and save your money for a bigger reel. My choice to start with would be an Echo Ion and pickup a nice skagit or scandi line for it. Once you get a better understanding for what you like buy a better blank. The A.R.E blanks are a steal! You can put the whole thing together for less than $100 including shipping.
I will be up there Sept 29 - Oct6th.

Quinn