The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Midge-Nymph difference

I mostly fish for Bluegill's now, I don't have many option's to choose from. Well this new lake I'am fishing in now all these Bluegill's will only take a small #14 Brown Midge nothing else. I've tried small Mosquito's from small pheasant tail Nymph's nothing work's. But when I fish my main lake there all over the Nymph and dry flies, but not the Midge. What's the difference in them? Both pattern's to me look a little similar. What are they supposed to represent?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:28 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midge-Nymph difference

Midge is a specific class of insect (dipthera/chironomid). They have a complete life cycle like a butterfly - from larva to pupa to adult. The aquatic phase is the larva and pupa. But generally, midge can also mean a small fly that is not a true midge. Some true midges can be relatively big so things can get confused.

Midge Larva:

Click the image to open in full size.

Midge pupa

Nymph is specifically the aquatic phase of mayflies, stoneflies, damselflies, dragonflies, crane flies, etc, etc; but is also used generically to describe a type of fly imitating the immature aquatic stage of all insects including midges.

When someone says they are fishing a midge nymph they are technically wrong but it is used commonly enough that we know what they mean.

Mayfly nymph - Baetis:

Pheasant Tail Nymph"

So the meaning of these terms can be specific or general and the meaning depends on the context in which they are used. In England, midge larva patterns are called "buzzers".

Buzzer:

Note the parts of the fly vs the parts of the midge pupa:

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-17-2012 at 04:11 PM.