The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default New Waders

Went fly fishing yesterday and found out I need new waders due to major leak and cant be repaired because the inner & outer liner are separating on both legs, any suggestion or reviews for a new pair?

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: New Waders

popperfly,
depending on price, simms or patagonia are a good pick. if you look around you can find sales on these, and many other brands. i've owned and loved ll bean emerger waders that an be found at a good price as well.
just curious what brand of waders you are having these issues with?

casey

ARFE
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I've been using Simms G3 for several years and like them. Need to send them back because of a leaky foot so bought a pair of G4s and will use the G3s as backups and for summer trout and the G4s for steelhead. Some guys I fish with swear by Dan Bailey. Before Simms I had a pair of Orvis waders that worked well for a couple of years and then they became my spouse's waders. I do not think you can go wrong with any of the major brands. I like the Simms because of the pockets because I do not use a vest for steelhead.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

i've been looking around for waders as well. *(my first set)
i'm going back to NYC soon for short time, and ORVIS has their warehouse only 45 min away, so ill give them a call and if they have good deals ill go grab some there.
otherwise here's what i found so far:
online you can find some small discounts, but this weekend i was up in Mammoth and walked into a random FlyFishing Shop and they had SIMMS 40% off in store. its a small shop w/out a website or any advertising.
so you might want to do just that, go into some local shops and see what deals they have, you might have better luck then you would looking for online sale.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: New Waders

I really like the Patagonia waders I've been wearing for the past couple of years...Watermaster II's I think.
Price was nice on sale around Labor Day and their warranty is right up there with the best in the business.
Patagonia Ironclad Guarantee
If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, you may return it to us for a repair, replacement or refund. Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge.

Go with the best you can afford and enjoy 'em!
Best of luck!!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Redington SonicPros are my recommendation. After more than a year of some seriously tough fishing in them, they still don't have any issues aside from the pinhole leak I put in while hopping a barbed wire fence while running from an angry bull.

For the price of these waders compared to some higher end waders like the G4's, it's worth looking into. I don't think you'd be disappointed with them.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

My theory is buy the best you can find in hopes they will last the longest. So far this has worked out for me. Simms boots and waders for me.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using Cabela's waders for around 25 years. There's been 6 or 7 different pairs during that time and I still have 5 of them including both stocking foot and boot foot versions of their "Dry-Plus"
I have no problem recommending that model.
Be sure and try them on before you buy as proper fit will help to extend their life
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
popperfly,
just curious what brand of waders you are having these issues with?

casey
Chota waders

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM

pr0phet73 is on a distinguished road

Highly recommend you check out Frog Togg's Hellbender waders. They are ~1/3 the price of Simms, Patagonia, etc. waders, breath and last just as long (in my experience). Plus, I don't think twice about hopping barbed-wire or pouncing through alders in these things (which I would if I was wearing $300+ in waders).

Their hippers are great as well.