The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   A Close-Up Look at Didymo's Effects (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/294425-close-up-look-didymos-effects.html)

mcnerney 08-20-2012 06:59 PM

A Close-Up Look at Didymo's Effects

This twenty five minute video by Jason du Pont follows the progression of a didymo bloom in the Gunpowder River in Maryland. This invasive algae blooms and its large stalks blanket the river bottom. This video was made to increase awareness about this invasive algae, which continues to spread to new watersheds. It is truly amazing how fast this algae can spread.

wjc 08-21-2012 06:38 AM

Re: A Close-Up Look at Didymo's Effects

Wow, that's some nasty stuff Larry!

wt bash 08-21-2012 09:15 AM

I know a few folks on the board here have shown links as to Didymo having little impact on bugs but after seeing that I can't imagine it doesn't impact spawning. The site of the video alone should be reason enough to want to switch to rubber soled boots and take as many percationary measures as possible to curb its spreading.

jpbfly 08-21-2012 03:17 PM

impressive video Larry....invasive algae is a big problem here too....haven't gone on the Daisy for a while but I imagine how it is with the heatwave:(

jaybo41 08-21-2012 04:07 PM

That video hits geographically speaking close to home. Not only that, but it has been confirmed in the Youghiogheny River in PA. Not that I fish it, but I know there are lots that do and then fish other waters here in PA. If you don't know about it or if it hasn't hit your home waters yet, now is really good time to get familiar with what we as anglers can do to help prevent the spread.

Thanks for posting Larry.

Guest1 08-21-2012 05:49 PM

Wow, that's some nasty stuff.

Liphookedau 08-21-2012 06:08 PM

Larry,People don't realise the effect it can have,even though Banning Felt Soles will definately help which lots of people are against,other Fishing Gear,equiptment can & do carry it as well.
The best remedy is to periodically check & clean all gear as I know when I've returned back to Australia I've had to fill out a Quarantine Declaration,also I've been asked where & how long ago I Fished,if I cleaned my gear,I've been lucky to date I've had good Quarantine Officers.
Friends coming home from New Zealand have had their gear checked & they were told if it contained any foreign matter the gear would be seized & it would either be confiscated or they would be charged a cleaning fee.
So it's really up to us to check our gear as we all know is impossible at times to prevent gear becoming soiled as we all enjoy Wade Fishing.
Brian.

chi flyfisher 08-23-2012 10:10 PM

Horrible to witness that video. I can imagine how devastated I'd be if it finds its way into my home waters.