The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default furled leaders and tippet

How much tippet do you guys run after the furled leader before you tie on your first fly? I use cutthroat leaders with the tippet ring and have been tying on about 12-15" (of 4x) before the first fly but was wondering if I should go longer.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: furled leaders and tippet

For me it varies by how picky the fish are and how tight the water is. Generally I put on at least 2 feet though, often more. Most of the furled leaders I use are 4 - 5.5 feet.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

We recommend starting at 48" of tippet. Depending on casting / wind / fly size and ability, you can go longer. I know it sounds like a lot of tippet to fisherman not familiar with furled leaders…. It will turn over without any issues.

Hope that helps.

Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

It usually depends on how long your furled leader is, IMO. I would say I generally add about 3-4' to mine, and my furled leaders are usually ~5ft.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I use a 6 ft furled leader and on the end of that I will add 2'-5' more tippet, depending on the situation. On the shorter end for big hoppers, the longer end when i need to go deep.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i use 5' furled leaders and add between 3 and 5 feet of tippet depending on conditions.

ARFE
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I use either a 4 1/2 or a 5ft Furled Leader & because I mostly use a 2 Fly setup I use a 6ft Tipit with The Dropper tied about 18" to 2ft back from the Point.
I also vary The Tipit length from 9-12 inches max otherwise a lot of line twisting is created,it works great.
Brian.