The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Fixing rod guides question

Hello,

I have a cheap fly rod (e-glass) that I actually like a lot and want to repair. One of the guides is wore out, so I watched a couple of youtube videos and think I have a decent grasp of how to go about attaching a new eyelet (or reattaching the old one).

Question: Is there a widely available, cheap thread I can use? Or do I need to use some kind of fishing rod specific thread?

The epoxy I have covered.

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fixing rod guides question

You can get rod building thread from the same place where you buy the new guide(s). Of course you don't have to use rod specific thread if you don't want to. The rod police will never know .
Just go with a synthetic like nylon rather than one that may rot, like cotton
Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Okay, thanks for the tip! Funny, is that the procedure for wrapping the thread is identical to how I "twine" my bicycle handlebars using the old-school twine and cloth handlebar tape . So it's nothing new there, but I'll be sure to not use amber shellac on my rod

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

If you tie flies you can use your tying thread otherwise any synthetic will work. You can seal the thread wraps with Hard as nails nail polish found everywhere. It will cause the thread to darken so if you are using colored thread just use a color several shades lighter and it will tend to match up better. Use several coats and the wraps may out live you.

If you are using a cheap rod you might consider replacing all the guides. If you do that you could use a oxide striping guide or 2 and and add a couple extra guides. Most cheap rods skimp on guide quality and quantity. Since you like the rod it would probably save a problem on the water later and probably improve the rods casting. Just be careful to use some tension but too much. You can actually crush a rod with too much pressure when wrapping guides.