The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 PM

5shot is on a distinguished road
Default Terrible Customer Service from Versitex (Gudebrod Supplier)

I just wanted to let you all know about the poor customer service I received from Versitex after trying to order some Gudebrod Braided Butt Leader. I placed an Internet order for a 50yd spool of 35lb (approx $10) and a 100yd spool of 50lb (approx $19). Shipping for the original order was $11 - a bit steep for 2 tiny spools of leader, but I decided to go ahead with the order anyway. After about a month of waiting, I called to check the status of my order, and I was told that it was back ordered from the factory and would ship to me in approx. 4 more weeks.

Yesterday it arrived, well part of it. The 35lb arrived and the shipping list had a hand written note that the 50lb was cancelled. I called to find out what was going on, since I really needed the 50lb and only ordered the 35lb to have "just in case". They told me the 50lb was no longer available. I then inquired about the shipping...you probably guessed already...$11 to ship a $10 spool of line. I told them that if they had called to tell me what was going on (my phone number is right on the invoice, and they have my email address) I would have cancelled the order, since I didn't really need the 35lb. She asked if I wanted to return it, so I asked if I would get my shipping charges back...she said no. I then asked if we could split the shipping 50/50, since they shipped it in a $5.00 USPS Flat Rate Box anyway, the $11 was pretty excessive. She said she would have to ask her manager...the answer was "No", and asked again if I would like to return it. Basically she asked me if I would like to spend another $5.00 in shipping (now we're up to $16 in shipping charges) to get $10 back. I told her no, and asked her to tell her manager that I wouldn't be shopping there ever again, and that I was going to let everyone know about my poor experience. Her response was "OK". I don't have a problem with the way the gal on the phone handled things, but they should have called when they knew that 2/3 of my order wasn't going to ship, and the manager should have stepped up.

I even sent them a copy of this post, and gave them ample time to make it right...but apparently they don't care. They did respond, but their reply was "Sorry you are angry, we should have called, but we can't refund the minimum shipping charge".
Old 08-24-2012, 05:55 AM

addni is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Terrible Customer Service from Versitex (Gudebrod Supplier)

Ooooh, I'd be quiet about that. It appears there is some censorship going on in this forum, as I tried to vent my frustration at being ripped of by an online retailer, and eventually the thread was pulled!

Guess free speech has gone out the window in the good old USA.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I may be incorrect, but I thought that this forum was bought by an English company.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by addni View Post
Ooooh, I'd be quiet about that. It appears there is some censorship going on in this forum, as I tried to vent my frustration at being ripped of by an online retailer, and eventually the thread was pulled!

Guess free speech has gone out the window in the good old USA.
Addni: We pulled your thread as we thought you had resolved the issue with the credit card company. Earlier when I had contacted the company you had a dispute with they claimed the issue was between the Canadian Customs folks and you, not the retailer.
FrankB2, fredaevans and jcw355 like this.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I may be incorrect, but I thought that this forum was bought by an English company.
Versitex or Gudebrod?

Either way, my problem isn't with Gudebrod - I didn't order from them. My issue is with Versitex's lack of consideration for the customer. I explained my point to them, offered to split the excessive shipping, and got an _ from them...twice (the last time after sending them my OP and letting them know that they could avoid me posting it if they would make right on their error).

I think close to 1000 people have read the account on 4 forums where it has been posted...

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-24-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Removed veiled obsenity reference
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Free Speech Censorship or Careful Monitoring.........

Hello Everyone,

We are not dealing with a free speech issue here. What we can't do is to entertain one side of a dispute in or on a public forum. While I understand the frustration folks can experience with long distance on-line / mail ordering, (I've had my share) it should be incumbent upon the buyers to fully understand the terms and associated costs or risks that accompany such ordering.

I live in Alaska where many of the things I need or want must be ordered from the lower 48 states or from abroad. When problems occur I deal with them and sometimes share details with friends. What I don't do and what the purpose of the forum is not for is to provide for members to vent their frustrations and or allegations regarding the transactions.While the venting may provide an element of relief having aired your side of the story, without the accused retailer having a seat at the table we could easily become the whipping post for many businesses and that is not our purpose.

I could go at length with suggestions on how to avoid problems but will simply say that a brief read through Dale Carnegie's book "How To Win Friends & Influence People' may lead to more harmonious results. That coupled with knowing the aforementioned costs & associated risks of on-line ordering; shipping fees, customs, duties, and the like will cut our losses substantially.

Sorry to hear of these problems but this is a fly fishing forum and not a consumer complaints bureau. I would advise that you start a 'Friends' list and a 'Contacts' folder here and when there is a problem, keep the details private until all are sorted out. If you feel that there is a valid threat to the fly fishing community at large such as a phony web site having no physical address that has taken your funds and seemingly does not exist other than on the net, then contact the forum and allow someone in Administration to check the site before blowing the top off a situation. If I learn of a valid threat I will post a general announcement to such affect so as to warn the membership.

Good luck with these disputes,

Ard
FrankB2, fysh, fredaevans and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, Ard. You are indeed the voice of fairness and reason. It's understandable that someone would get angry about shipping costs, but flooding fly fishing forums with complaints about a shipping fee is a bit more than I'd like to see here. I have seen ff'ing forums where members enjoy thrashing companies, products, and each other. It becomes a rant fest, with fly fishing topics sprinkled here and there.

I was about to order some Whiting hackle a couple months ago from a well-known tying supplier. They sent an email saying that they had just received a shipment from Whiting, and it was listed as being "In Stock" on their site: 1/2 saddle of Grizzly. I decided to call before placing the order, and my suspicions were confirmed when the woman told me that they were sold out. I don't order much from the larger chain stores, but their sites seem to be more up to date (even real time) when it comes to inventory. There's a shop about 50 miles from me, and they list everything as being available. It's more like available for them to order, although you'd get the impression that it's in the shop. The shop is quite small, and they'd never be able to fit half of what they list.

Call and speak to a human when ordering online.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Regarding the free speech thing, this is essentially a private forum with rules set forth by the owner(s?) and the admin staff - this is not a public podium where free speech applies. If the conversation doesn't sit well with the powers to be, it gets yanked - it's part of the agreement when you sign up.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Terrible Customer Service from Versitex (Gudebrod Supplier)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post

I was about to order some Whiting hackle a couple months ago from a well-known tying supplier. They sent an email saying that they had just received a shipment from Whiting, and it was listed as being "In Stock" on their site: 1/2 saddle of Grizzly. I decided to call before placing the order, and my suspicions were confirmed when the woman told me that they were sold out. I don't order much from the larger chain stores, but their sites seem to be more up to date (even real time) when it comes to inventory. There's a shop about 50 miles from me, and they list everything as being available. It's more like available for them to order, although you'd get the impression that it's in the shop. The shop is quite small, and they'd never be able to fit half of what they list.

Oh Sooo Yes!

Call and speak to a human when ordering online.
And as to the last, whole heartedly agree! Go on line, find what you want on their web site then call and confirm (the what ever) is in stock. A few occasions the answer was 'no' regardless of what the web site may suggest.

Maintaining a web site (if it's extensive) can be a full time job.

fae
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Free Speech Censorship or Careful Monitoring.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello Everyone,

We are not dealing with a free speech issue here. What we can't do is to entertain one side of a dispute in or on a public forum. While I understand the frustration folks can experience with long distance on-line / mail ordering, (I've had my share) it should be incumbent upon the buyers to fully understand the terms and associated costs or risks that accompany such ordering.

I live in Alaska where many of the things I need or want must be ordered from the lower 48 states or from abroad. When problems occur I deal with them and sometimes share details with friends. What I don't do and what the purpose of the forum is not for is to provide for members to vent their frustrations and or allegations regarding the transactions.While the venting may provide an element of relief having aired your side of the story, without the accused retailer having a seat at the table we could easily become the whipping post for many businesses and that is not our purpose.

I could go at length with suggestions on how to avoid problems but will simply say that a brief read through Dale Carnegie's book "How To Win Friends & Influence People' may lead to more harmonious results. That coupled with knowing the aforementioned costs & associated risks of on-line ordering; shipping fees, customs, duties, and the like will cut our losses substantially.

Sorry to hear of these problems but this is a fly fishing forum and not a consumer complaints bureau. I would advise that you start a 'Friends' list and a 'Contacts' folder here and when there is a problem, keep the details private until all are sorted out. If you feel that there is a valid threat to the fly fishing community at large such as a phony web site having no physical address that has taken your funds and seemingly does not exist other than on the net, then contact the forum and allow someone in Administration to check the site before blowing the top off a situation. If I learn of a valid threat I will post a general announcement to such affect so as to warn the membership.

Good luck with these disputes,

Ard
If a MOD/ADMIN wants to yank it...well they can have at it. I posted it to let others know that they might want to take their business elsewhere. Versitex sells Fly Rod Building Materials, and the Gudebrod is used for making Spliced Loops for FLY LINES...so I thought it might benefit the members here to let them know what happened.

I also have the email exchange...so I can post both sides of the story, but I already outlined it in my post.