The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 PM

medic77 will become famous soon enough
Default I need some new rod advice please.

I have brought this on myself so here me out. I just proclaimed from the mountain tops about the Orvis Superfine touch 6'6 3wt a week or so ago buuutt, I stopped at a fly shop locally that I didn't even know existed until today and I cast the Winston GVX 7'6 3wt and it is on discount for $300 bucks. I also cast the Sage ZXL in a 7'6 3wt and a 7'6 4wt (and an 8'6 3@5). They are all on sale for $385.

My fear is buying the 3wt of any of them and being under gunned and never using it (and I have to buy a new reel and line).... Or.... I could buy one of these rods to replace my starter 5wt rods and I already have a nice Abel creek 2 reel with 5wt line. All the money being about equal what should I do? Is a 3wt that great because it feels that great but it worries me. Any positives or negatives to these rods? My 5wt I would replace is either an older St. Croix imperial or. Tfo professional.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I need some new rod advice please.

Just to make sure. Is your concern in the model of rod you plan to buy and how good it is, or that you are not sure you should invest in a 3 weight specialty rod or upgrade your 5 weight outfit?

It sounds like the latter.

If that is the case, then I think your major investment should always be in the rod you fish the most. If you are only going to fish the 3 weight a few times a year and are worried about being under gunned with it, then spending $300 on that rod and having to buy a reel as well might not be your best bet.

Then again, if you are catching fish and are happy with your five weight setup, then get the 3 weight and don't look back. Fly fishing equipment doesn't have to make sense, it just has to make you feel good when you use it.

If I didn't answer your question, sorry.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Why would you want to replace your 5wt with a 3wt? My personal opinion is that you cannot have too many rods.

Get the 3wt that you like the most and then some point later get a better 5wt to replace your starter. It isnt a bad thing to have a number of tools to choose from.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Oh no I'm not replacing my 5wt. I was only considering adding a really nice 3wt or skipping the 3wt and going to either get a really nice 5 to replace the starter. I will say the 4wt sage I over lined with a 5 and it was really nice to cast. I have figured out that I prefer a full to medium action the most. I think that is why a 3wt feels so good.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans View Post
Why would you want to replace your 5wt with a 3wt? My personal opinion is that you cannot have too many rods...It isnt a bad thing to have a number of tools to choose from.
I agree 100%. You are just starting your "rod collection." Enjoy the search.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Whether or not you'll by the 3wt and never use it depends on what kind of fishing you usually do. I use my 2wt very often but I do a lot of fishing in small streams with overhead branches and smaller fish. It would be a shame to spend that kind of money on a rod you know you won't use, but if you'll use it, go for it. I love my light rods.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

That's quite the predicament. I'd go with the Winston...but I have a thing for green blanks.

Not knowing what you typically fish for, I don't know why you think a 3wt would cause you to be under-gunned? My favorite rod (prior to a couple weeks ago when I got a new 2wt) has been my 7' 9" 3wt. I have a 6wt, but it's just too much rod unless carp are the intended quarry or I'm casting heavy bass bugs.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 AM

We do have several smaller trout streams in Missouri that a 3wt would probably be just fine and I do love catching panfish with my girls. In fact, I'd say that is what I fish for 75% of the time.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

If you think catching pan fish on a 5wt is fun...you ain't seen nothin' yet! Get a 3wt and it starts getting even better.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

A 3 wt 7'6" rod is a great thing to have in your arsenal for small trout streams...at least that's what mine is for.