The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly...fishing

I am sure this has been hashed out before, but I wason another fporum for saying there is a difference in Fly Fishing and Fishing a Fly.

The argument is around calling Putting a fly on a spinning outfit with a bubble is Fly Fishing.

My come back was you need a fly rod, reel, fly line. Of course this lead to TROLLING as a form of fly fishing

I am a firm believer that fly fishing is the rod, reel, fly line, but some current definitions are saying the other

fly-fish (flfsh)
intr.v. fly-fished, fly-fish·ing, fly-fish·es
To fish using artificial flies for bait and usually a fly rod for casting.

the act or art of angling with a bait of natural or artificial flies; fishing using a fly{2} as bait.
- Knight.
phishsaw likes this.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly...fishing

Joni: I agree!

By the way, what are you doing up so early? I get up this early on weekdays to get ready to go to the gym and always jump on the fofrum to see what's up and make sure there aren't any spammers posting.

Larry

Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Got to work ;-)
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Got to work ;-)
No swearing on the forum!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Joni, Don't argue with doodoos.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

On the one hand, this can open a whole can of worms, beginning with the definition of a fly. I think the wooly bugger debate has calmed down, but flies like Green Weenies and San Juan Worms are still not "flies" to many people. I don't view Tenkara as fly fishing, and think it's silly. That's just my until now private opinion, but there you go.

Most of us know what fly fishing is, but there are plenty of spincasters that would like to try fly fishing before investing in the gear. I fish with plenty of guys like this, and put a fly rod in their hands as often as possible. I also give them a few Green Weenies (and even some BWO's, GRHE's, etc), and tell them to use a split shot on their ultralight spinning gear, or even a bobber in the case of a dry fly. They're always amazed at how quickly they get a strike using any of these flies, especially when their spinning lures/bait aren't working.
Some have bought fly rods, and others continue to use split shot or bobbers. It puts them one step closer on the path to enlightment, so I'm okay with that.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The argument is around calling Putting a fly on a spinning outfit with a bubble is Fly Fishing.
Whoa ...flash back....
sounds like Gramps/OldMan ... The Sequel
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

It's called a "Fly & Bubble", not Fly Fishing - per se and it is a GREAT way to get youngsters into the sport. Both of my kids started out with this technique after the boredom of Powerbait overwhelmed them...

Click the image to open in full size.

My daughter Ally when she was little, using a "fly & bubble" on Lake Sabrina up in the Sierras, near Bishop, CA

These are two of my favorite patterns to use with the "Fly & Bubble":

...and this is what they can do...

My son Michael with an Alpers Rainbow (tiploid Trout, which do not reproduce) on Little Virginia Lake in Bridgeport, CA at 9700ft. This method is excellent for fishing high alpine lakes...

These experiences with my kids got them into FF...

Hardcore FF maniacs on a Madison River side channel below Varney Bridge...

PT/TB
Hardyreels likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Joni i agree with you it is not fly fishing but if it gets kids started to fly fishing i see that point.It's just not my thing.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess in my mind, fly fishing involves a fly rod, a fly reel, fly line and the fly itself. Pick whatever definition of what you believe constitutes a fly and attach it to a leader, attached to your fly line and cast it with your fly rod.

Any legal method of getting children involved in fishing is a good thing. I am a fly fishing convert, my father and grandfather were spin fishermen. I picked up the fly rod on my own, before "the movie" none the less.