The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default North Fork Outdoors - Outlaw X5 Pontoon Review

Received the X5 quickley after my order but it was not what I ordered. I placed an order for the Avenger pontoon. Called Derick who I had placed the order with and he was very sorry and offered to have it picked up. After giving a lot of thought over the weekend, I choose to keeep the X5. Turns out things have a way of working out okay, as after using the X5, I'm glad I didn't get the Avenger.

Out of the box the X5 was 100% complete and took me about 1 hour to setup. Instructions were good. No shipping damage to any items. Took it to a local river for testing and learned this X5 rows a lot different than my kayak paddles. Another learning curve for me but it's fun. Rows easily and travels a considerable distance with each row.

Went to register the X5 in Texas and sure enough I didn't have the correct paperwork to suit the government. Called and talked to Dave Scadden and he faxed the paperwork to their office and registration was completed.

Took it to New Mexico for a month of fishing Eagle Nest Lake and over on the San Juan river. Lake use came first and was a good learning area for me. The X5 takes me about 1/2 hr. to unload, air up, and set frame, and load all my other equipment. Purchased the pontoon carrier wheel to help transport to water side. That did not work worth a flip with a trolling motor and battery mounted. Carrier system is a single wheel like a unicycle. I was unable to balance the pontoon with all the additional weight. So off with the trolling motor and battery. Rowed the lake and everything is getting better (not turning as many circles) lol. Very much like the stability and never felt as if it was tipsy. Casting while standing is a dream with no rocking of the pontoon. The stand up balance bar helps me maintain my balance as designed. The stripping basket on the balance bar is very large and works as I want. The frame is heavy guage so don't expect any issues with the metal.

After a couple of weeks I drove over to the San Juan for my first experience with flowing current. What a great pontoon as I was able to navigate the few rapids and 3.5 mile float without any issues. My rowing is still improving. Anchoring in current was no problem with the anchor trolley system that comes with the X5.

Overall this pontoon rates excellent for me. Would like to see Dave design a different wheel carrier system (2 wheel) as I was unable to loadup the X5 and still balance it on one wheel. As a result I could not use my trolling motor due to distance to water about 150 yards at the lake. To far for me to carry the battery. I was happy with the way everything was packaged for shipment so nothing got damaged. Very pleased with quick response from Dave concerning the registration process. Pontoon is built using a heavy vinyl that gives me hope that the pontoon should last a long time.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Fork Outdoors - Outlaw X5 Pontoon Review

Osok: Great review on the Outlaw X5. I have the Rampage and love that boat.

NRS has two wheel trollies that might work, take a look at this link: boat transport at NRS - Kayaking Gear Rafting Supplies and Boating Equipment

Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Nice review, thanks for the effort.

I have long been an outcast man and Scadden is putting out some quality product that I am noticing more and more.

I will enjoy trying his stuff out soon.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have the same boat (along with the Assault XX). Using a LVM pump, it takes about 3 minutes to pump it up, then install the frame and bags, and then top it off with a KPump. Also with the toons not fully pumped up you can get the frame cam straps tighter. We also use a pressure gauge and put 2 1/2 psi in.
That's about 7 minutes. But I've had it longer and have a system.
Next you'll want the mega deck. Just a little wider (about 6" wider) and it makes a difference.
As for using the transporting wheel and putting the battery and motor on, I've never heard anyone else trying to do that. I'd wheel the boat down and get a small cart to take the m & b down seperately.

I added some Scotty rod holders and also can use the anchor lock
Click the image to open in full size.

Then get a 5 hp motor
Click the image to open in full size.

Have fun.....
Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Nice Rig Mojo!!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

MCNERNY, that is a good ideal about the kayak cart. I've got one and will see if I can modify it to work.

MOJO, Nice rig you have setup, you put alot of thought into it. Like how you mounted anchor lock. Saw the neat way you came up with a transducer mount. I have the mega deck and may put a 5 hp on it in the future. Yes it takes me longer because I've not yet gotten a good system for me down. I think I should be able to launch within 15 min. Some of my problem taking a 1/2 hr. was because I was on a month trip and I'd loaded everything but the kitchen sink in the truck.