The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 08:49 AM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road
Default Large, Medium, or Small Arbor Reel

Advice needed.

I have a 5 Wt. rod and I am looking to purchase a new reel. Can anyone please help with a recommendation as to arbor size?

I am new and need some advice.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large, Medium, or Small Arbor Reel

I an going to say a LARGE ARBOR. For one thing you don't need as much backing and the line won't come off so curly. There are a bunch to choose from in all price ranges.
Mid Arbor would be my second choice with a little more backing.
But when you think LA and the fact that there is only 50 yards of backing, remember that is 150 feet. You will be running or if in a tube or toon, chasing the fish once you hit that knot. I have only got to that point ONCE with my 5wt. A couple of times with my 2wt.
The only time I might want more backing would be river fishing for SaLMON or Steelhead.
Just my thoughts.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Large, Medium, or Small Arbor Reel

Joni, I'm still working off of Hardy Marquis/S.A. traditional reels (but on modern rods like Sage SPs, XPs and lately, Sage Z-Axis). I recognize that the larger arbor reels allow faster line retrieval (but at the cost of less backing), but do you really think that large arbor reels make all that much an improvement over more-traditional smaller-arbor reels (even those with a traditional ratchet-pawl drag)?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is a big difference except for the backing. I mean you fill the reel up with backing till the line is right out the the edge, that is basically a large arbor effect. It is just more cost friendly to go with a Large Arbor, plus more backing means more weight, which on a 5-wt probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I just scored a Tibor Spring Creek CL and in all actuality it is probably the same diameter as a Traditional, but the fact I only have 50 yrds backing and the reel is light to begin with, it is perfect for the new ULTRA light rods.
The Orvis Battenkill LA or even the Mach, do have a noticeable line pick up speed. One turn is almost a foot of line! Sometimes that is VERY important. With the lack of backing you can hopefully chase the fish, but if they are swimming straight at you, well, that is the true pleasure of a LA.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

A well designed large arbor reel should allow the same amount of backing as a traditional reel.
Having used and owned all three arbor styles, I agree 100% with Joni.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

You might be able to still pick up a new older model Orvis LA Battenkill. Orvisis coming out with a newer model. The old models don't have a sealed drag, so you have to clean it once or twice a year. No big deal. It's a light LA.

In my opinion, I would buy the lightest LA you can. If you want to save money, maybe a used Lamson or Bauer. (The Bauer has a cork drag.)

Randy Kadish
Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Larger arbors are better, but I recommend avoiding those with a shallow space for the line. With a large arbor reel, you're best off getting one with a little extra capacity for line and backing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone who responded. Based on the responses I will go with the large. I have been looking at some on ebay and prices are in my budget. Thanks again, Kenny, Jacksonville, Fl
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
You might be able to still pick up a new older model Orvis LA Battenkill. Orvisis coming out with a newer model. The old models don't have a sealed drag, so you have to clean it once or twice a year. No big deal. It's a light LA.

In my opinion, I would buy the lightest LA you can. If you want to save money, maybe a used Lamson or Bauer. (The Bauer has a cork drag.)

Randy Kadish
I noticed that also. The original Battenkill LA has the same insides as the Traditional Battenkill or the BBS, but now it looks like the same inners as the Mid Arbor. I am betting they weigh a little more, but that is a nice drag system.
As far as LIGHT WEIGHT, I will agree on the Lamson and add the Tibor, haven't had the pleasure to check out the Bauer, but I have never seen a bad Bauer ;-)
Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Okay, for those interested in the new Battenkill LA's, I just got an informative message saying that there really isn't a difference in the weight of the new and the old large Arbors...Thanks Pete.
I like those kind of e-mails.