The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Help my waders smell foul

So I have a 3 year old pair of Simms Freestones. I like them fine but a few months ago my wife wouldnt allow them in the house due to a "odor problem" . They smelled like someone dunked gym socks in a mossy river and then put them in sealed tupperware for a few month to ferment. I rolled the dice and put them in the washer on gentle figuring if it went bad I probably needed new waders anyway. They came out fine and the smell was for the most part gone.

Fast forward a few months and 2 times wearing them. I got done the other night and had to roll all the windows down in the truck. The smell permeated my skin. I was on my way to a business dinner so I had to shower at the hotel and be late vs smelling rancid.

I dont think my waders are really very breathable. I am not what you would consider and sweaty or stinky kind of guy so normally I wouldnt think I made that smell.

Question is what would you do, wash them and use em again ? Wash them and retirre them to backups ? Just throw them out ?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help my waders smell foul

Wash them with Nikwax Techwash. That should remove any oils or mercaptans that are clogged in the membrane.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Wash them with Nikwax Techwash. That should remove any oils or mercaptans that are clogged in the membrane.
Thank you, I will order some. While I want new Simms G3's really bad I just dont have the discretionary money right now. My wife would kick my rear if I bought them with Christmas a few months away. She says I make Christmas and Birthdays awful on her since I always have what I want and dont ever need anything.....This year she might be in luck
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna ask a question here and I hope it doesn't offend you because it's such a simple one, but.....Do you turn your waders inside out after each outing?

This problem seems so odd that that's the only thing that came to mind.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Based on noises I heard while you were here, I should think that your waders (fysh) may smell a bit funny at the end of the day

How could I resist that
fysh, jaybo41 and rockriver like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I'm gonna ask a question here and I hope it doesn't offend you because it's such a simple one, but.....Do you turn your waders inside out after each outing?

This problem seems so odd that that's the only thing that came to mind.
This is what makes me madder than heck......because I do it every time. I rinse them, hang them in the garage to dry 100% before they are put back in my gear bag.

My two buddies I fish with both wad theirs up as is, stuff them in their bags til the next outing and they dont have any problems

Me and Murphy's Law are really close friends

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Based on noises I heard while you were here, I should think that your waders (fysh) may smell a bit funny at the end of the day

How could I resist that
Well, as my wife says "I'm gassy" so yeah Ive ripped off a few squeekers in the old waders.

Someone here wrote a funny stroy about waders cinched up with a wading belt, eating bad food and ripping a few off in the waders...had me in tears
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

At some time we have all had similiar problems I mainly had it when I was wearing Rubber Boots,sometimes Waders repairing Pumps Daily,the simplest way is to turn them inside out,then wipe them down with a solution of Bi-Carb Sodalet them dry,also a Sprinkle of Bi-Carb won't hurt until you remove the smell then occassionally wash& dry them,that should prevent your feet from being smelly,also be careful with the food you eat before you go fishing as The Gasses can be a little uncomfortable,both inside & outside your Stomach.
Remember to always wear clean dry Socks as I find sometimes feet will sweat in The Waders causing wet feet.
I also use Foot Powder if I'm continually wearing Waders for anything over a day.
Brian.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm......I have no idea. Maybe give Simms a call and ask them if this is something that anyone else has had issues with.

Ard,
Please don't blame mrs fysh's flagellants on me. It's gotten to be rather embarrassing because I feel I cannot take her anywhere.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
So I have a 3 year old pair of Simms Freestones. I like them fine but a few months ago my wife wouldnt allow them in the house due to a "odor problem" . They smelled like someone dunked gym socks in a mossy river and then put them in sealed tupperware for a few month to ferment. I rolled the dice and put them in the washer on gentle figuring if it went bad I probably needed new waders anyway. They came out fine and the smell was for the most part gone.

Fast forward a few months and 2 times wearing them. I got done the other night and had to roll all the windows down in the truck. The smell permeated my skin. I was on my way to a business dinner so I had to shower at the hotel and be late vs smelling rancid.

I dont think my waders are really very breathable. I am not what you would consider and sweaty or stinky kind of guy so normally I wouldnt think I made that smell.

Question is what would you do, wash them and use em again ? Wash them and retirre them to backups ? Just throw them out ?
My wife hangs a downy sheet in my waders after their washed,then after I'm washed she hangs one on me.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
This is what makes me madder than heck......because I do it every time. I rinse them, hang them in the garage to dry 100% before they are put back in my gear bag.

My two buddies I fish with both wad theirs up as is, stuff them in their bags til the next outing and they dont have any problems

Me and Murphy's Law are really close friends

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Well, as my wife says "I'm gassy" so yeah Ive ripped off a few squeekers in the old waders.

Someone here wrote a funny stroy about waders cinched up with a wading belt, eating bad food and ripping a few off in the waders...had me in tears
Your waders are plugged up with farticles, get the nikwax and wash them twice.