The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Can I use the oval cast for everything?

Hi,

Every day I get out on the water I seem to get better...thankfully, because I really started out pretty crappy . I fish warm water species and often with heavy flies, so I've learned how to open my loop and cast the back/forward casts in a slightly different plane to avoid hitting myself and getting tangled up.

Well, earlier I was using a little foam Japanese beetle and was catching bluegill and longears left and right with it.....and I noticed that I was using the oval cast even though it wasn't needed. I can see the disadvantage of it, when it's windy because the more open loop obviously will catch that more. Also, if I need to "pitch" the fly under some overhanging brush and trees I probably can't use it....

But man -- I love that cast! It gives me no trouble at all, and with a little *snap haul on the forward cast I can fling it out there 50 feet without problem.

Does anyone else use this cast even when it's no needed simply because it is a "safe" cast? It seems pretty useful and practial for my needs....

Also, I found that the "over the shoulder" roll cast and water haul is really useful when you find one of those pools that holds a lot of bluegill.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Can I use the oval cast for everything?

Hi,

I'm not sure if I do the cast you are talking about but I probably do. I firmly believe that when you find something or some style that works for you it should be a keeper. I use streamers for about 98% of my fishing since relocating here and probably 75% was streamer fishing in the lower 48. I don't know what the cast I use is called for sure but I use the same style whether I fish with a 6'3" 5 weight or a 15' 10/11 weight rod. Consistency is important and so, if what you're doing is working, then stay with it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Yeah, basically what I'm doing is a side arm backcast followed through and into a vertical forward cast. Well.....not really completely vertical, but definitely at at higher angle than the backcast. I find that I get no real problems with this cast, I can put it most anywhere I need, it responds well to hauls in both directions, and seems pretty easy to feel for a beginner like me.

I'm surprised that it's not utilized more often vs. the standard overhead cast (which has the front/back cast in the same plane).

This guy seems to be a big fan of it:
Elliptical Fly Casting - fly fishing and fly casting tips from a pro - GŁnter Feuerstein international EFFA Master flycasting instructor
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I see, I didn't know it now had a name I would say that I began doing this many years ago quite by necessity.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM

I got your request -- thank you much! The folks who I've met who do things out of necessity before people "named" them are usually the ones who know what they're doing and what they're talking about in my experience....so more power to you! Like this old bicycle mechanic I learned from who never used a torque wrench for anything. He would just say "I know what it feels like" . And he did...but man I sure needed to use one.

I thought of another good reason for the oval cast: it is virtually the same as the "change of direction" cast that Lefty advocates. This is basically when your fly drifts downstream and you need to get it back up to where you casted before (more or less anyway) -- so you "sweep" your rod horizontally across keeping the rod VERY close to the water surface, then when you are facing where you want to cast, you raise/accelerate the rod overhead sharply, then make the cast. To me this feels very similar to the oval cast that I already use, so it's natural to use it for this cast too.

I like the snake roll and snap-T which look like you could also use as variations on the "change of direction" cast, but I'm not as good at either of these. I need more practice!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I've never thought of using that cast more often than I do. I usually use it only when I have some weighed fly on the end of a 7wt or something.

Oh, yeah: GO CAPS!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 PM

Yep! We'll see how the season goes with coach H out now. I like A.O., so hopefully he puts our power play on the right track. You never know with the Caps though -- I think they're definitely a team for people who secretly hate themselves ...but they're still my team.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

This is a cast I use almost exclusively whether it's windy, I'm using weight, big flies, etc,.....doesn't matter, it's pretty much engrained into me.

And it's a very easy cast to teach others learning to cast.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Yes everything but a roll cast which is half of a circle cast.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I do not recommend the oval or belgian cast for routine casting. The reason is line and leader twist.

By casting in an ellipse, you are moving the rod tip in a circle for each casting cycle of a backward and forward cast. For a right hander this causes the fly line to twist counter clockwise for each cycle. Take a look at how your fly line is twisted and I bet that you will find a counter clockwise twist for a right-hander and a clockwise twist for a left-hander.

To prove this to yourself, take a pencil in your like a rod and bring it back low to your side and then around the ellipse and forward high, then back low and forward high, over and over. Look at the circle your hand and arm are making and you will see that you are moving in a counter clockwise circle.

This type of elliptical cast is often used when casting in the wind, and is called the Belgian "wind" cast.

It is also used when nymphing when you pick up the line low to your side and then use a water tension cast to bring the cast back over your head. Then you follow the drift back and lower the rod to the side and loop over your head again. You are repeatedly casting elliptically.

To remove the twist, make a long cast downstream, and then opposite clockwise loops with your fly line to remove the twists and then reel up the line onto the reel before leaving the stream.

Here's a video of the elliptical cast. You can see how he would introduce a twist with his casting motion.

"The disadvantage of this cast is that it throws a half twist in the line every cast. Half twists add up! So it's best to use this cast sparingly, otherwise you will have to get into the habit of removing the reel from the rod, every 30 casts, or so, in order to spin the twists out."

The Belgian Cast

The Belgian Cast | MidCurrent

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy