The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Fair trade?

Well some of you guys might know I was supposed to head up to the Adirondacks next week. That plan is out and now a week camping at Caledonia State Park, practically in the Michaux State Forrest, is the destiation. The ADKs would have entailed gormet food, luxury, and all that jazz with a heavy chance of some serious family drama, and brook trout fishing. Along with the new destination come my girlfriend and I, a tent, a cooler, no families, close proximity to the Limestoners and the bluelines within the Michaux, burgers and corn on the cob and roughly 500 bucks cheaper. So whattya think fair trade?
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fair trade?

Missing family drama AND saving $500... priceless! milt.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Missing family drama AND saving $500... priceless! milt.
What Milt said! Vacations are meant to get away from drama.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agreee more with Milt and Dennis! Enjoy the time with your girfriend........no need to hassle with family drama issues!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Yup...give me simple, relaxed, and cheap and I am a happy "camper". Drama of any kind does not fit into that formula
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

A drama free vacation sounds like a no brainer to me. Fair trade? I think you are clearly getting the better end of the deal. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy it WT.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

50 some years back one of my Mentors (and I was lucky enough to have several) told me: 'You like the young lady? Fine take her camping for a week and come back and tell me what you think.'

Tent was one of those old 'oiled canvas' jobs. First day was very cool; especially after dark. Second day 'I'm board.' Third day .. more of same.

Fourth day I packed up and took her home to Mama.

Next time I did that (same old tent) it rained for two straight days, as in poured. Even the floor of the tent had a couple of inches of water on it. Drove into town and purchased a couple of folding camp cots and a fold up table. We ate, slept, played checkers and cards for the next two.

She never blinked; I should have been "WARNED! Danger Young Mr. Robinson! DANGER!!" Years later, and two very young kids and coming back from a trip to Portland, Or. Beautiful weather, etc.

'Lets go camping!' Not a thing on us for that so pulled into the town of Kalama and purchased a large blue plastic ground cover, some rope, food (canned stuff), cooler for kid stuff that needed to be kept cold a cheap pot a small fry pan and some paper plates. (Edit, did go back and get Colman Lantern, a flash light has its place, but this was not the place.)

A cook stove? Took a large empty can and punched holes in the middle and bottom and sturno tubs (same thing you'd use today under a chafing dish). Blankets? Had two in the car so good to go there on a warm night (they were).

Together/married for a quarter century.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I hear ya my idea of luxury is being dry and having a BIC lighter! The ADKs would have been a cool change of pace but I'm not in the habit of eating a poop sandwich just to get some dessert! Oh and Fred, this ones a keeper, I know that, but we're not going near the M word!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

The Adirondacks is one of my favorite places on earth. That said, option b sounds better. All the beauty of ADK can be irrevocably lost in the swirling cesspool of family drama. About 28 years ago, a young lady took me on the camping test in Codorus State Park (I was the greenhorn), not so far from Caledonia, in an old canvas tent. I passed the test. Now the kids are grown and for the first time in probably 23 years we just planned a camping trip for just the two of us. Don't get me wrong...camping with the kids was always great, but I can't wait.

You made a good swap.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 PM

medic77 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a great time to me, especially avoiding drama.