The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM

tjcbaseball_27 is on a distinguished road
Default What do I need?

Iam new to fly fishing and I was hoping for some help. I took a trip up to the White River last spring and had a blast. I know there are alot of quality brands of equipment out there but I would like some input on the equipment I need to get started. I live in East Texas so the majority of my fishing will be for bass but I plan to make several trips a year to Arkansas to catch some trout. I've been looking at the Orvis Access in a 5 weight. Any suggestions on rods, reels, flies, equipment, etc. would be much appreciated.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I need?

A 5 or 6 wt should be fine for bass and trout and if you have your eye on the Access, Orvis sells an outfit including the Access reel and line with backing.
For bass also pick up some 2x tapered leaders and a spool of 2x tippet to throw the bass flies and 3x if they go for dry flies. For trout you might want 4x and 5x or even down to 6x, though I don't know how picky the fish are in Arkansas, best to check with a shop near where you fish.

For flies, I love black and green wooly buggers for bass and getting them on surface poppers is always fun. The best might be to find online reports for the waters you fish or talk to folks in a local shop to see what fish are hitting, that is especially true for the trout. Frequently bass are pretty willing to take a fly but trout can be more picky.

For the bass fishing you might be able to fit a fly box and tippet spools in your shirt pockets, which is a nice way to fish. Enjoy!
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum, I'll second what William has said. Are you enjoying the forum and are you finding your way around?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Down below there's a whole FAQ sub-forum with much information.
..... like this

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...t-fishing.html
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

for your situation a nice 9' 6 weight sounds like a winner.
check out allen fly fishing, they are a sponsor here.
the xa rods are pretty sweet and with one of their trout series reels you would have a nice setup.
as far as bass flies, for largemouth i'm a topwater guy- poppers and sliders in red or flo green. for smallies its all about the clouser minnow- try char-white or blue-white.
tight lines

casey
mcnerney likes this.

ARFE
Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I'd go for a 6wt honestly. there are some big boys in the white, especially if you get up by the damn. One of the guys at my local fly shop was fishing there, 5 minutes in he caught a 34" brown, next cast he caught a 36" brown. After releasing them both he went to the bank, broke down his rod had a cigar and didnt fish the rest of the day. why would you at that rate though haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 AM

rkymtn is on a distinguished road

Yup, I agree with those above. For what you are looking to do, get a 6wt!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Another vote for 6 weight. Since you live in Texas, I think the 6 wt. would serve you well. I voted for a 6 weight in the "If you can olnly have one fly rod" thread. I think a good 6 wt. can handle most fresh water duties well and probably some light weight saltwater duties. I think the Orvis Access would definately be a good choice.

Tony