The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default If you could only have one fly rod?

Hopefully, this hasn't been asked recently, but since I am new here I wanted to start a topic. A friend of mine at work is getting interested in fly fishing and asked me this question. I know it is not that easy to answer and thank goodness I don't really have to make that choice.

After thinking about it for a minute, I would have to say a 9' 6 wt. Yeah, it might be a bit much for small mountain streams and a little under gunned for my bass fishing, but in a pinch it could handle those duties and anything in between.

Obviously if you are a saltwater fan or a small trout stream fan your choice may be different.

Tony
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: If you could only have one fly rod?

If I could have only one rod (I hope that day never comes) it would most likely be my 9ft 5wt Z Axis. It is a little too much rod for tiny creeks, but other than that it will do just about anything that I ask of it. It can handle tiny dries to big nasty heavy carp flies and everything in between.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

For me it is also close to the Z axis. I would say my 590 One.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

It might also be helpful to tell us whether you are from East of the Mississippi or west of the Big River. i suspect that will make a difference.

My choice is a 9' 6wt, although a 9'6" 6wt comes in a VERY close second. The longer rod will work better out of my tube, but might not fare so well on the little cutthroat streams. Yeah, I live out west!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: If you could only have one fly rod?

I have far too many ... but had to back off to one (including my 2-handers) ...

Easy: Sage 10' 7wt XP. I'd have the bottom pulled off and an extension (easier to 'spey cast') built. Save for that? I'd even give up my "Baby Boo's."

fae
Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This subject comes up pretty regularly and for me I can't imagine just having one.
I don't like to admit it to myself but I'm a bit of a collector and that's a segment of the sport that I greatly enjoy

For my personal fishing, I'd need at least 3 rods. A 4wt, a 6wt, and an 8wt.
But if pressed I'd give up on the 4wt first, the 6wt second, and keep the 8.

I'm going striper fishing all next week and I know that there's a very good chance that I'll have one of my 8wts in my hand practicality the whole time and I 'spose that I'd be fine if that's all I ever used again .
Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

My choice would be an 8 wt 9ft Orvis Helios with Mirage reel its the .375 H&H of the fly fishing world. I've caught everyting from Bluegills to Bull Sharks with one.

Last edited by bugslinger; 09-05-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: oops
Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

My 9'5" five weight. That would work on lakes, streams and spring creeks. I am not counting my spey rods for steelhead in this. That is just not realistic!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

For now its my Sage GFL Graphite III. Its a 2 piece 5 wt 7'6" . I love the vintage thing. I think its from the 90's sometime. Very nice rod. I have only fished an old Mitchell, then a Fenwick Black Hawk, to now the vintage Sage via my Dad. A very humble history. I have since picked up a 2 piece St. Croix Imperial 4 wt 7'6". It very nice too.

The Sage is perfect for streams and rivers around my parts. Although I would love to test its limits someday with a lunker or two that I know are hangin around but are beyond my skill level for now.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

Considering I do a fair bit of Atlantic Salmon & Sea Trout, I would try to choose between my 796 Sage One or 8100 Sage One. The 8100 does a little better job with the riffle hitch. But I have to say this is a question no flyfisherman wants to answer