The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default Portland: First of November

Hey guys
This is all still in the works and I am just entertaining the idea but, I will be attending a meeting towards the end of October first of November somewhere in the Portland area (Jantzen Beach area?). I will be slightly limited on transportation but, is it worth bringing my gear during that time of year? And if so do I have much for options in the area?

After a quick search and reading through some things I am questioning if this is an off time for both steel and trout?

I should be able to get out each evening and perhaps extend the trip solely for fishing reasons if need be but from what I see itís too bad they donít postpone the meeting until the end of December or even January.
What do I know though being a native Utahn and all, thatís why I am looking for a local opinion.

Also I like Danís idea of a trip swap, Portland area for SLC area? But is it even worth it that time of year.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Watson
Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portland: First of November

Sandy or Clakamus (sp?) Someone here will pick you up/etc.

fae
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Portland: First of November

As Fred mentioned, the Sandy and Clackamas will both have some fish in them. Large numbers? Probably not. There should be some fall chinook in the north coast rivers as well. There is also a limited chum salmon run on the Kilchis and Miami rivers around that time.

The coastal sea run cutthroats will be off limits by by then.

If i was in your shoes, i would bring the fishing gear. If you are thinking of maybe hooking up with a guide, i can recommend a couple.