The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By comeonavs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Default Tipping your Guide?

Trying to setup a guided float in Colorado. Have never used a guide I'm guessing a tip of 15-20%, plus or minus depending on how much effort the guide puts in.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tipping your Guide?

Thats what I do but usually 20%, it all depends on how hard they work to keep or at least try to keep you on the fish.... Sometimes there are just real slow days, and those are usually the days the guides works the hardest for you.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ask and you shall receive.

IMHO don't base your tip off of numbers of fish caught(although a good day certainly helps), some days the fishing is off, but if your Guide teaches you something, puts the effort in to find fish, and you have a fun day even if the fish don't cooperate....take care of him, and maybe add a 12 pack.

Guided trip and how to tip the guide?

Gratuities for Guides

How much to tip a guide?
mcnerney likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they really don't do their job, show up drunk, etc I'd start with 20% and go up if there is something special.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Never less than 20 unless the guide is an ass.

40-50 for a good day.

C note for a great day.

Depends on how wealthy you are as well. Guides don't expect a guy that got a guided trip for a gift from a father-in-law or something to be able to produce a c note regardless of how great the trip is.

If the guy is poor and he gives a 20 it could be an excellent tip...
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 AM

nefarious_1_ is on a distinguished road

At least 15%. I've only hired two guides so far and both were quite good. It's a lot easier to give more with a group since the rates are generally less. If its just myself and/or a friend, we probably already spent our pay checks hiring the guide and getting there so 15-20% is more manageable. If I can give more, I do.

Last edited by nefarious_1_; 09-08-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Ive only ever had one guided trip and the guy basically babysat my dad and I for 6 hrs. I must have had 20 wind knots he untangled and he taught me a good amount , plus I liked the guy so he got $100.

He also is one of the founders of Peak Vices so I bought one of his vices recently too, just to keep the money local.
fysh likes this.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

I usually tip 30 dollars if solo trip or close to 10%. About 20-30 on a double fisherman trip which is about 15-20% total. That is somewhat less than what others are saying they tip. Maybe I'm cheap but that's what I do and they all have been grateful. If I'm cheap maybe they are grateful because they are pro's.

This summer on the San Juan, I told the guide the morning we met that I didn't want to do any nymphing, I wanted to try for big fish. So he tied on a #6 bug and I caught very nice bows but about 8 fish. If we had nymphed he would have put me on 20-30 fish but much smaller. However what he did also was split the day trip (his ideal) into two shorter one day trip. We fished about 3hrs. and then went in and met back up @5:00 for another trip. He did this so my chance of catching a bows in excess of 20" would be better. This guide got $100 or 30%.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

When I was in Alaska in 2010 one of The Lodge owners told me The going Rate was usually 10-15% which everyone was happy with,however if you feel Guides are worth more by all means look after them..
Brian