The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM

tjcbaseball_27 is on a distinguished road
Default Need Advice

I'm new to fly fishing and I am trying to get geared up. I will be doing mostly bass fishing with the occasional trip to Arkansas to do a little trout fishing. I know now that a 6w rod would be a good fit for this. I have been looking at all the different rods and reels and want to get something that will last and be good quality. Ive been looking at the Sage Vantage or the TFO BVK. Have any of you fishing these rods and what would be a good reel to match up on them???
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Advice

You might want to take a look at this thread that is offering Galvan T6 reels for $200, which is a very nice discount on a tremendous reel and Galvan's support for their products is second to none.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...els-lines.html

Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Go with the BVK. And pair it with a Lamson Konic. You wont be out a ton of money and the drag on that reel will handle any bass you put it up against.

Just my 2 cents,
Forrest
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Vantage and the BVK rods have two different personalities to them.

The Vantage will have a flexier feel than the BVK. I am not saying that the rod is a noodle. This flexy feel will be more forgiving on the cast. As a rookie fly fisher, that may not be a bad thing. Also the flexy feel will allow you to absorb more shock from a fish that has sudden changes in speed and direction.

The BVK will have a stiffer feel than the Vantage. Since casts will be thrown more off the tip, your casts should have tighter loops as long as your mechanics are sound. By having tighter loops, you can cast much more efficiently into the wind. With a stiffer butt section, you should be able to set hooks with much more authority. Also you can horse a fish around more.

Choose a rod that matches your personality.

As for reels, there are a lot of good ones. What kind of budget do you have? If that Galvan T-6 hasn't sold, you may want to consider it. The very popular Lamson Konic is getting a face lift for 2013, so you can find the 2012 models on sale.

Dennis
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

allen flyfishing has a great selection of gear that would suit your needs very well. a 6 or 7 weight rig from them might be what your looking for'
the xa series rods are very well made , and the trout series reels are great as well.
just another option

casey

ARFE