The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By famill00

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road
Default question

Was at the beach last weekend, doing some surf fishing with a buddy of mine. We ran into this guy fly fishing. So I stopped to talk to him. We traded stories and flies that we used. I looked and saw that he was using a snap lock on the end of his leader. I asked him about it and he said that he changes flies a lot and this helps. I told him I never thought of that.
So does anybody on this board do this. Is it actually helpful. I have been thinking about it all week. Just wondering.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: question

this is just speculation, part of the reason we have leaders mostly tapered other than to turn the fly over is to be more invisible to the fish, I think a snap lock would be working against that somewhat. I don't mind tying the knots so its not a issue for me but I can see someone with poorer eye sight or arthritis this could be very helpful
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

While growing up, we always used these snaps when fishing ultra light stuff on spinning gear. The fish never seemed to mind. Of course, we were casting to hungry bluegill and largemouth, not to wary trout on a highly pressured stream.... I would think the amount of difference the snap makes depends on your quarry. In the ocean, I doubt it matters much.

-Forrest
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

You are very right i skipped over the surf fishing he said he was doing then I don't see any problems with that, I think it would work fine. I was mistakenly answering from a trout view point
Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes use such a thing for bluefish
I have a couple of short wire leaders made with a snap on one end and a swivel on the other that I can quickly attach to my tippet so as to avoid time-wasting "buck fever" when a blitz pops up out of nowhere.
Otherwise I rely on my knots. If you're going to fly fish in the salt you NEED to to be proficient at knot tying. There's no shortcuts
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Often while bluefishing I'll use a snap on my wire leader trace like Rip. It's not that I need to change patterns it's that blues chew the **** out of the flys! I don't use them (snaps) in other situations because I don't like the action imparted on some flys and to me tying a new knot gives me the opportunity to check for frays in my leader while I'm changing flys. I don't believe that most saltwater species with the exception of bonefish and permit that a snap keeps the fish from biting. It's your choice.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser