The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Fly line repair

Hey everyone,

It has been quite some time since I last logged in. I have been pretty busy with work and what not. Anyways, I was fishing the other day and stepped on my line and put a pretty good slice in it with the stud of my boot.

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea on how to fix it. It is a fairly new line so I hate to buy a new one. I was thinking about using some super glue to glue the flap back down.

It is my 6wt streamer line so it doesnt need to be perfect just enough to slide through guides better.

Thanks,
Tyler

- Tyler

Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line repair

I've done it with heat shrink tubing . You have to be careful that you don't melt the fly line when you shrink it.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM

hal_sch has a spectacular aura abouthal_sch has a spectacular aura about

Here's a site that shows how they repaired a line

UKSWFF - Saltwater Flyfishing In The United Kingdom
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Is it sliced all the way through or most of the way through?

I have several Rio lines that come with the welded loop on them. One of them that I have used a lot for Carp fishing the last couple years was still in good shape but the coating on the loop was fraying. I opened the loop up and put a thin coating of Aquaseal on the damaged part. It seems to be working quite well.

Time for some serious field testing!

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have not tried this but a friend recomended using flexible, UV-curing compound such as some of the wader patching products on the market. Has anyone tried this technique?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp1 View Post
put a thin coating of Aquaseal on the damaged part. It seems to be working quite well.
That was going to be my suggestion also. Aquaseal is strong, flexible and tenacious. It's the stuff many inflatable raft builders use to bond attachment point patches onto their rafts. Scadden recommended it to me too to fix a tear on my pontoon. That was three years ago and it's still going strong.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have used a thin coating of Aquaseal. It stiffens that area of the line but it works pretty well. The heat shrink tubbing method is the best way.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have not tried this but a friend recomended using flexible, UV-curing compound such as some of the wader patching products on the market. Has anyone tried this technique?
Yes. I repaired a fly line using Loon's UV wader repair. It got me through several days of a trip just fine. My line needed replaced anyway, so I can't say how long it will hold up. Good stuff to have "just in case". What I liked about this was it was easy to do in the field and it didn't make the line stiff when applied. It was supple enough and didn't hang up on my guides much if at all.
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Alright, thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will give aquaseal a go and see how it works.

- Tyler

Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

There is an article in todays Midcurrent article about making loops. He used a hair curler to soften the line to melt it together.