The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM

brhitch is on a distinguished road
Default Time to upgrade

I've tried fly fishing on and off over the years with little success. Finally going to get a chance to take some lessons of casting though and caught my first fish a few nights ago. My current setup is a 5/6wt Martin rod and Martin 61 reel. It was bargain basement cheap ($20) for the whole deal line and all 10+ years ago. I plan of putting new line on it and using it for a while longer. I really want to get into fly fishing more so I am looking for something decent without breaking the bank.

I will fish for mostly bass (in Kentucky)
Occasional trips to the Smoky Mountains (once maybe twice a year)
I would like to try carp fishing
I don't like the idea of graphite/plastic looking reels. (Someone might be able to convince me otherwise)
I like the looks of the Okuma SLV, White River, and that style reel.
I have no brand preference.
I would like to find a combo but would piece together a setup for around the same or a little more money if it would be better.

HELP!

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to upgrade

Take a look at the Allen Fly Fishing web site, they offer some really nice gear at very good prices, mention that you are a forum member as he gives a discount to the members and his service and support are top notch.

Larry
caseywise likes this.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM

double d is on a distinguished road

I might also suggest that you haven't already done so to take a fly fishing class (yes, they can be expensive, but I took a class this past summer for $115 for a four hour class in Colorado). I found it very helpful to have profesional guides discuss the basic of fly fishing. Good luck with the newer gear as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

If on you can give us an idea on your budget, I am sure you will get some great reccomendations. Good equipment can be had for almost any resonable budgets these days.

Tony
Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Check South Holston Fly Shop web echo rod with free reel descant rod and reel for 229.00 better than Tfo. and no tax for out of state shipping and great guy's to deal with also.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:31 PM

brhitch is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I'm looking to keep it in the $150 range but that might be an impossible task.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'll admit to knowing very little about fishing in your neck of the woods. I've read a couple of articles on trout fishing in the Smokies and that's what I picture. For those smaller trout on small streams maybe a 4wt?
I like my TFO 6 wt but my St Croix 4 wt is a little slower and more comfortable on small streams. Both these rods are (were) in the $100 range.
If you get around to carpin', you're going to want to get a heavier rod...

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

For $150 bucks, Cabelas or Bass Pro have some decent combos. A buddy of mine at work just ordered the Prestige combo from Cabelas. It came with a rod, reel, line, chest pack, leader, flies and nippers and pliers for $159. Honestly, it is a decent set up for a beginner. He bought a 6 wt and he is happy with it. The object is to learn and get hooked. Then nothing will stop you from getting the money together later for something nicer.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Unfortunately it will be difficult to get a rod that is going to knock out both bass fishing and fishing the Smokies for trout perfectly. You stated that you were interested in carp fishing and would be doing mostly bass fishing in KY.

First and foremost, where in KY? MBPhotos/Mike is one of our members who is based out of Kentucky so he might be a possible fishing buddy for you (but its a long state). There are also a lot of guys a relatively short drive from different parts of Kentucky. Jhammer, Stl_Geoff and some of the other guys have the place surrounded.

As far as rod weights go, for bass fishing and chasing your occasional carp, I would go with a 7wt. I've caught carp (and also bass) on a number of rod weights from 3-8 but for a good balance of fun, all-day castability (thats almost certainly not a word), and the ability to throw big poppers if you need to, a 7wt is going to treat you well. Personally, I prefer longer rods but thats a combination of personal preference, if you'll be fishing out of a boat often, and what the banks look like around your fishing areas. Banks choked with vegetation might warrant a shorter rod. If you only go to the Smokies once or twice a year, I would not try to balance the two types of fishing with a compromise rod. I'd get the 7wt for the fishing you'll be regularly doing and use the Martin set-up you already have until you can upgrade to a 3 or 4wt down the road.

There are a lot of rods in the more inexpensive price point that people like: Allen Xa, Echo, new Orvis Clearwater, TFO, Reddington, Rise, etc. You literally could search through this pricepoint ALL day and get hung up on 10 different rods, comparing prices and technologies and warranties, etc. The new Orvis Clearwater is a pretty good rod and has the advantage of incorporating technology that trickles down from the Helios (Orvis really stepped their game up with the new Clearwater, its much more a performer now than a pricepoint filler based on casting it the other day). Reddington is a similar situation, with trickle-down from the high-end Sage stuff. A lot of people swear by TFO. A lot of people swear by Echo (no surprise here, both the Rajeff brothers are rod-designing virtuosoes).

Personally, I fish a 7wt Allen Xa (and a 6wt Xa, and an 8wt Xa, and a 10wt Xa). I like the rod. A lot. I would happily hand this rod to anyone else to try, whether they were fishing a $60 starter rod or a $500+ rod. Its a really solid performer. It casts well, it fights fish well, it gives me power when I need it, and I don't feel like I've been casting with a piece of re-bar all day.

Most importantly, look for a good warranty and customer service. Fly rods are NOT indestructible, particularly in the hands of humans. We slip off rocks, slam car doors and trunks when we should have looked, often hold the rod where we shouldn't when fighting fish, even try to rip snagged flies out of places using techniques better suited to starting lawn-mowers or chopping wood. Basically, fly rods get broken. Sure, people go their whole lives without breaking fly rods but others don't. Others break LOTS. I know a guy that broke three in a month. He also ran over not only a rod, but a reel at the same time. Needless to say, the warranty/repairs dept. basically had him on speed-dial (for the record, it wasn't me, though I have broken a rod). I have consistently purchased from Allen because the combination of excellent customer service and a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty (and Justin, Allen's owner, has a history of being good to the people of the forum when it comes to price). Other companies offer similar service, but the moral here is don't buy a rod or reel from a place that is going to hassle you if (or when) you break it.

So that is my long-worded essay on the topic, and my personal preferences based on what I have available to me at this moment in time, but there are a lot of options out there. You'll hear all sorts of different opinions, many of which will be an inch of this or 2.54cm of that. Try and test out a rod if you can, but ultimately, you'll likely be happy with whatever you settle on, as long as you do your research. And if you're not happy, well, you can do what many fly fishermen do best: buy more.
shotgunfly and brhitch like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I would try Allen as well. Great product and customer service. Heck Justin offered me a new reel for free just to show me that they stand behind the product and want your business. Your dollars may go further with them than anyone else!
gatortransplant and brhitch like this.