The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Question Furled Leader Tips?

After getting a few furled leader from Cutthroat Leaders I'm really looking toward getting on the water. I'll start things off with a 68" all-pourpose greased with Loon to keep it floating. However looking at their website they suggest a single piece of tippet of 6-9', thats anywhere between 11.6 to 14.5 between my fly line and fly. Is this right? For those using furled leaders does this generally sound about right?

BTW - I had a great ecperiance with my purchase Mike at Cutthroat. Props!

D
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Furled Leader Tips?

When using a furled leader, I just attach a piece of tippet that will make the whole leader around 9ft in length, some times more or less depending on what I'm doing and what rod I'm using. A 14ft leader does seem a little long for "all round" fishing to me.

-Chase
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM

nefarious_1_ is on a distinguished road

I use 6 foot furled leaders for dry fly fishing and generally add 4 - 6 ft of tippet, sometimes a little more if the fish are really spooky.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Missin'

I have a feeling you will love your furled leaders. I know I love mine.

The species and/or water you are fishing will determine the length of your 'tippet'.

If you are in Gin clear water with spooky native trout, you will want as long a leader as you can comfortably throw and turn the fly over nicely with. (this could be 5 feet or longer (although, I suspect that even with a furled leader transferring the cast to the tippet, more than 5 feet of level leader will be super hard to turn over well.)

For the Black Basses (and bigger flies), you will be fine with a shorter length-- I use only about 2 feet (I am not very 'scientific' with my tippet lengths-- just pull some line and cut; sometimes 2 feet, sometimes 16 inches) of 'tippet' in warmwater environs. If the target species isn't line shy, tippet could be just enough to tie the fly onto would be ok (I don't necessarily recommend this- just pointing it out.)

Hope this helps.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I guess I might have to take a new look at my site.... Maybe I have a typo. We tell most fishers to begin with 4'-0" of tippet. Then you can go up from there depending on your casting, wind, fly size etc.

I know many guys that do throw very long tippet with our leaders, but like everything in Fly Fishing, what works for some does not work for all.

I will review my site now and make the proper adjustment.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Thannx

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though I have Furled leaders in a few Lengths I mainly use The 5ft ones.
I've had great success with them in our Local Lake using a 6ft leader with a Dropper 2ft from the end with either a 6 or 7 WFF Line.
When it's windy I use a Clear Tip 6 WFI Line with the Tipit reduced to 4ft,also with a Dropper.
Brian.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
I guess I might have to take a new look at my site.... Maybe I have a typo. We tell most fishers to begin with 4'-0" of tippet. Then you can go up from there depending on your casting, wind, fly size etc.

I know many guys that do throw very long tippet with our leaders, but like everything in Fly Fishing, what works for some does not work for all.

I will review my site now and make the proper adjustment.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Thannx
Mike

I'm the one that needs to read a bit closer. I cut and pasted from your FAQ:

Q: What type of Tippet do I use?

A: As with many questions/issues dealing with fly-fishing, ask the same question to three different fly-fisherman, you will get three correct but different answers.

My personal thoughts on tippet is as follows:

On 90% of my fishing trips, I use a one-piece length of tippet between
6-0” - 9’-0” in length. (smaller fly’s allow for longer length) If fishing spring creeks that have extremely spooky fish, 10% of the time I will step my tippet down in two steps. Approx. 3’-0” of 5x and 6’-0” of 7x. I do not do this often, but on heavily fished waters such as Silver Creek here in Idaho, it does not hurt to go that extra step. The natural tippet protection (furling process) built into the leaders make landing large fish on small tippet much easier than with monofilament or nylon leaders.

I read 6-0" as 6'-0", oops.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I make my furled leaders & have tried various formulas & lengths over the years & I finally settled on a 5' furled leader for most, if not all my fishing for trout. I usually put a 2' to 3' length of 4X & a 2 to 3' length of 5x. If I feel I need to go down to 6X or 7X I'll just add a foot or 2 to that.
I like a Shorb loop on my leader better than a tippet ring so I use loop to loop connections so if I want to change tippets it's easy. The best thing to do is experiment & see what works best for your fishing conditions. There can be a lot of variables such as wind, size of fly, water currents, top or bottom fishing, length of cast needed etc.

Have fun
Neil
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Hello Mike and All, I have written in other threads on leader design about the importance of energy transfer during presentation from the line to the butt of the leader to the tippet. I employ the test procedure of grasping the line and leader butt equal distances from their joining (aprox. 5" to either side) and flexing to form a curve. Uniform symmetry of the inverted "U" shaped curve indicates that the relative mass will permit a smooth transfer of casting energy from line to the thickest portion of the leader and similarly, if using a furled or braided butt leader design, from the terminus of the tapered butt section to the monofilament. Of course, there are leader designs like the "George Harvey Leader" that intentionally use a mono butt that is thin enough to compel the leader to collapse, due to an abrupt interruption of energy flow at the joining point of the line to leader, forming collapsed coils on the waters surface.

Without debating this tactic, lets assume you, the angler, prefer a leader design that offers you complete control over your presentation whether you intend to put your tippet down straight as an arrow or, with rod tip motion control, induce current responsive "S' curves to facilitate a dead drift. How effective is the procedure to match the thickest portion of a furled leader to the tip of trout size floating lines? Does the parabolic loop test mentioned above yield a symmetrical curve? Similarly, from the tippet ring or loop at the thin end of the furled section, what diameter of monofilament matches to, again, form a uniform transfer of energy? Thank you for considering these questions.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked to jump in here. What can I say, Furled Leaders are the greatest thing since Peanut Butter.
Regardless of where you get them, they are the PERFECT answer, or at least they can be made that way ;-)
I have been making and selling them as well for about 12 years now. I have special formulas for different species (meaning the flies you will be tossing) Plus I came up with that added ingredient to add strength and aid in sinking.
Now on to the basics of use.

I like to deep nymph and generally that can be up to 30' of water. I use a 7' furled leader and attach up to 25' of fluoro. No taper to the fluoro as I use a slip indicator and knots are not a good thing. That 7' furled leader allows me to actually be able to cast that leader.

I use thread leaders in both wet and dry cases as it can do both quick and easy. I prefer Mucilin for floatant as it is not liquid, stays on better to me and a breeze to you without getting it all over specially if fishing a dropper you WANT to sink.

The thread can be squished under water to absorb and becomes a great sinking leader.

I made a 6' Thread Leader in March. I have been using that same leader with 100's of Carp and Bass all caught on the one leader.
Plus, try taking say 4 feet of tippet, attaching it to the ring or shorb loop. Not attach a 12" tag about a foot down from the connection. You now have a 12" of tippet plus 12" of tag for a dry, then 3' down a dropper. Both float freely. Had a lot of double with this. :-)

How much tippet, mono, fluoro to attach? As much as you feel comfortable with. Generally the Loop in fly line and loop in Furled leader creates a smooth slide when going through tip top of the rod. No worry abut that.
FISHN50 likes this.