The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Mollyguppers

Around these parts we call them "Mollyguppers", but they are just a fresh water Sculpin, and big fall Brownies love them. I have been tying the Whitlock version and Zoo Cougars, and they both work. I like both flies, but with the deer hair heads they are hard to get deep. I have seen pictures of the Shiela sculpin, but have never tied them. I've also noticed that the big adult Brownies seem to be pretty finicky about what flies they will take. What pattern do you folks prefer?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mollyguppers

I like a lightly weighted marabou muddler. Sometimes I think there is too much emphasis on getting streamers deep, think about it when does the prey ever dive towards the predator? I like just enough weight to keep the bug from skating up in the film on the swing/strip, also keeping the heads somewhat loose and not so dense help too. There's video of Gallup fishing streamers where he does fish a sinking line but his flies are unweighted so they bobble up on the pause between strips.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I like Powell's Bunny Sculpin, heavy, but I'm looking for aggro fish when using it so I like the action, especially in faster water. Good for smallmouth too. milt.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I looked up the Powell .....seemed like an easy enough tie. I will definitely give it a whirl! Thanks!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Sculpins stay on the bottom, so having a streamer that stays close to the bottom IS important in a sculpin pattern. Sculpins have big, wide heads and narrowing bodies. Most species have various kinds of dark stripes running across back and sides against a lighter background, usually dark brownish olive stripes and light olive background.

Keeping that in mind, I tie a very simple rabbit and red squirrel pattern to imitate sculpins. Take a long-shank streamer hook. Start by tying either a dark brown or light olive strip of red squirrel for a tail. Then starting at the base of the tail, tie in the contrasting color (light olive if you have a dark tail, dark brown if you have a light olive tail) of cross cut rabbit strip, winding it about halfway up the shank without bunching it. Then take the other color of cross cut rabbit and continue up a little farther, again without bunching it. Tie on lead dumbbell eyes a little ahead of where the rabbit stopped. Then go back again to where the rabbit stopped and tie in the contrasting color, over the eyes and slightly ahead of them, and bunching it a little more so that it is a little thicker. Finish off the head. What you end up with is a narrow-tailed, slightly wider bodied, thick-headed streamer with dark/light/dark/light pattern in the typical sculpin colors. I've caught a pile of nice fish on the Yellowstone and other Montana rivers on this fly, as well as some big browns in wild trout streams in Missouri. I also tie it in all black as an all-purpose dark streamer, and with twin tails as a generalized crayfish pattern.