The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Any machinists out there?

Not directly fly fishing related but will help create fly fishing related things

In the quest to build a better beveller I've got some pretty sound advice on how to put together a rougher not unlike Bellinger's Little Giant. I found a good electric motor that has a 2" long keyed shaft, now what do I need to mount my cutters? An adapter with a toothed end to accecpt the cutting wheels? This tool is entirely new to me and need some guidence as to how to turn it into a milling machine any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any machinists out there?

Been in the Tool & Die making biz for more years than I can remember.
I not too familiar with the Bellinger's Little Giant.
I guess the first thing I would need to know is what the mounting arrangement is on your cutters? 1/4 shaft? 1/2 I.D.? Once we know that then we can find the same type of mounting arrangement and figure out how to attach it to your 2" long keyed shaft. Hopefully we can modify the toolholder to fit on your shaft.
You would want to do this to keep the shaft/toolholder length as short as possible. Will need to know dia. of 2" long keyed shaft and size of key eventually to modify an existing holder. But if your mounting set-up for your cutters is simple enough maybe easier just to make a tool holder.

I have a cnc mill and some lathes and other odds and ends in my garage/workshop so that I maybe can help you out if possible. If it requires more than I have I still have contacts for getting something done.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

It's suprising The Topics we have here,it doesn't matter on what subject there's always someone who is willing to help.
I'm with Klunker,with a similiar background,I'm also unfamiliar with Belinger's Little Giant.
Just a couple of questions which might help configure what you need as making what you need shouldn't be The difficult Part with Lunkers Gear & contacts.
Firstly: What type of Work do you envisage doing?
Secondly: I presume you want to fit an adaptor to The Keyed Shaft & actually make a Router,am I correct?
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 09-14-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Here'a a link:

Bamboo Rod-Making Machines and Equipment :: "Little Giant" Rougher - Genuine Bellinger Reel Seats, Bamboo Rods and Rod-Making Equipment

Site has some fine bamboo rod, components, reels, and tools.

Pete A.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

If your going to us a router bit on the rougher why not try to get an adjustable drill chuck onto the shaft? When you get this figured out put me down for the first finished blank your willing to part with.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

There is a better picture of that machine on the bottom of this page.

bamboo fly rods, bamboo rod making classes, custom bamboo fly rods by bamboo rods makers Oyster Fine Bamboo Fly Rods

It looks to be powered by a portercable router using the router bits pictured. Those routers turn 23,000 to 30,000 RPM. You can pick one up for practically nothing used. The cutters pictured are about $200 bucks from Bellinger, but you could probably find something to work from Whiteside or Velepec - and they could well be manufactured by one of them for Bellinger.

However (though this is off your topic and probably unwelcome) having designed and built many fixtures and one pretty elaborate automatic machine myself (using as many off-the-shelf componenets as possible), I would say that if you can find something that will already work for your purpose - you will be way ahead of the game by just buying it.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:24 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Buying the premade stuff isn't really an option. Bellinger's Little Giant is 1300 and a medved from JW is around 850 and change. The keyed shaft from my motor is 5/8 x 2", if I can figure out what adapter I need to mount two cutting wheels then I can figure out how to mount an adjustable bed to rough the strips to 3/8 give or take.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

What is the diameter of your cutters and the motor RPM?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Bellinger sells their bits on a very limited basis, I already tried that route. I've got a little more research to do and I'll be able to figure out what size cutters I'll need and then figure out arbor adapters from there. Belive me I'd like nothing more than to pick up the Little Giant however at 1300 its not in my budget and the Medved style works but I'm trying to eliminate un-neccesary steps.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM

When milling something as small as what you are doing from a material like wood or bamboo using router type bits, I'm guessing you will need at least 15,000 rpms. Bosch makes a variable speed router for about $150 new, 8,000 - 25,000 rpm or so. I'm sure you could find a used one cheap.

What RPM does the Bellinger run at?