The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 05:24 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road
Default Alaskan fishing -if you fish for larger fish in the salmon family?

Holiday’s are now over….. I really need to get going on a fly-fishing trip to ALASKA in August.

I have fished for trout and bass with a 6 wt, Santa brought me an 8 wt rod/reel. I know I need fly’s and other gear, but any advice would be great! If I am going for salmon, what else am I missing that I should be aware of?

Suggestions on equipment, where to buy, when to buy, what to bring?

Part of my question is about Alaska, the other part is switching from smaller game fish to larger fish-Salmon. Like currently I rarely net my fish, other than trout, and I think the 14” trout type net will not be the best for a much larger fish. Things like that are what I am wondering about. Same with casting larger fly’s and streamers to different set-ups to research like bead-fishing which uses a bead to look like a salmon egg, etc.

What else should I be researching while planning this trip or other trips for larger fish!?

Thanks for all the help in advance,

Dogger
Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Alaskan fishing -if you fish for larger fish in the salmon family?

Hi Dogger,

I think I can help you out with a little more information.

Where will you be fishing? Will you be fishing with a guide? What rod and reel did you get? Will you be fishing for King Salmon? Are you flying into Anchorage or King Salmon? Do you have friends in Alaska?

I love fishing Alaska and you are in for a treat if this is your first trip. Planning is very important for a successful trip. I may be able to help you out if you are looking for a guide or lodge.

Frank
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Dogger

As a former resident of AK, the first question I would have for you is when and where are you heading? Equipment needs change with location, time of year and target species......
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM

We will be up there from August 8th to 24th and our main base will be Anchorage which is where we’re flying into, we will travel via train and SUV. I’d say from Denali to Seward and I am open to hitting lakes and or streams. Trout to Pikes to Salmon, but would love to catch some Salmon. I have a Redington 8wt rod and reel, 8wt weight forward and the rod is 9’ 4-piece with a fighting butt.

As far as a guide, I would love not to have too as I love to do enough research to avoid that type of thing, but overall would not mind looking up a local guide to learn the lay of the land either.

I do not have any friends up there, but plan to make some.

My wife thinks this is a great “family” vacation and hinted that I take my fly rod with me. Yes you can try this one out on your wife anytime!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dogger,

I got to be honest with you, if you limit your self to Seward to Denali you are going to be hard pressed to catch some Salmon. Your very best bet is a fly out with one of the flying services. Here is a link to Rust's Flying Service. They have been in business for many years. They have one day and 3 day fly outs that would work for you.

In August the Silvers and Pink Salmon are in the Kenai river. If you want to fish the Upper Kenia River try this outfit. You will have to drive to Cooper Landing, Alaska on the Kenia River. They can put you on some fish.

If you want to try on your own then I would go to one of the many fly shops in Anchorage and ask where you can catch some fish. One thing you could do is take a float tube, or buy one there, and try some of the lakes on the Kenia Peninsula. Alaska has some great fishing but you need an airplane, a boat or knowledge of the area. I can tell by the tone of your post you have high expectations and you may be disappointed with out some help.

The guides I have listed have been good in the past but I don't know how they are today.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar with the specific area you are heading but will echo what Frank suggested and I highly recommend seeking out a guide. Nothing better than local knowledge and it's well worth the price.....
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM

mommafly is on a distinguished road

I agree with the others about fishing the road system. If there are fish it is usually too crowded to really enjoy fly fishing. I personally don't like Rust that much, they are very big, rather impersonal, and will drop you anywhere whether there are fish there or not. Again, that is my opinion. Trail Ridge Air, Trail Ridge Air Service, won't put you somewhere where they know there are no fish and if you want to day fish they have guides too. If you want an exciting fly out trip, check out Hitaluga Guide Service's website. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Alex Guthrie is on a distinguished road

Dogger,

I have hunted and fished Alaska several times and I whole heartly agree with Frank and Fishstick, Alaska is very beautiful and exciting but It can also be very dangerous and treacherous, particularly if you haven't been and don't know the lay of the land. There are many things you need to be aware of and prepared for so I highly recommend that you contact an outfitter and get some guidence. You can do a self guided trip and have a great time if you're prepared, but if you're not prepared........ I hope you get to enjoy that amazing place as much as I have.

Are you taking the Alaska Railway to Denali? I've done it and it's awesome. Enjoy your trip!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM

We are planning on the trip to Seward and Denali to take the train, the rest will most likely be via SUV. How soon should you book the train part of the trip?

I like some of those guides and would love to here of any more you all would suggest. How far in advance do you need to book the guides? Any other insider info on questions to ask, what to take, etc when using a guide?

Back to other general questions/answers for fly-fishing in Alaska, any other suggestions of what to bring, where to buy and what to do would be great!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Alex Guthrie is on a distinguished road

you should start your planning ASAP as Alaska is a destination for so many people. I don't know specifics but I can tell you I've always been treated well and I've always had memorable trips there. Enjoy!