The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 04:12 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Allen Alpha 2 vs Lamson Konic

what should i do? i need a new reel because the old ones drag broke. rusted to hell. both are around the same price. Lamson is a tried and true product but i want to give Allen a chance.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allen Alpha 2 vs Lamson Konic

Never tried the new Allen but I just got my new Konic on sale at Cabelas. It's the 9/10 wt and the drag (sealed) is quite impressive considering the low price. So far no monsters on it but it has performed beautifully with what I have caught. I'll let you know in a couple when I test it on the brutes in the Salmon River as well as the Stripers at Montauk. Can't wait!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM

ultralightidaho is on a distinguished road

100% Lamson no doubt about it.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Ive gotta give it to Allen. I have there Alpha II and love that thing. I like the finish of the allen over the konic. Performance wise, I don't think one has a big advantage over the other.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

I've had no experience with Allens but I did buy a Lamson Konic it preforms great, the drag is smooth the down side it is fragile. After being warned by a guide friend of mine that it was fragile I dropped it while breaking down the rod, it fell from waist high landing on asphalt. It was destroyed, Lamson wouldn't help me out. I loved the reel but I'm a little tough on equipment so its back to the Okumas that never break no matter what I do to them.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:13 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I've got a konic 2. I have landed trout toward 24" on it, nice smooth drag. The best part is the fine tuning of the drag, it can be adjusted to a very low weight.
One guide mentioned that the Konic is held together (spool etc.) by an o-ring. The spool simply snaps in place, no trigger release. He said he had one fall apart mid fight. So far no issues with mine. For the $100-130 range, it was hard to find something nicer.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Thank you everyone for your help. It seems that the general consensus is that the konic is better. I was wondering if allen was going to show up on this thread but it seems they don't have a big prescence on the forum anymore.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:03 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I have a few of both. Allen is a better looking reel in my opinion, but Lamson has the best drag hands down.

**Edit. I have 3 of the Trout I if that is the proper name not Alpha, my apologies.

Last edited by darwin; 09-15-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I wouldn't make a sweeping statement about the presence of anyone on the forum in a single 24 hour period, plus the idea of a company employee weighing in on a question of whether their product is better than another is rather questionable. Whether they believe so or not (hopefully it would be the former!), the answer would obviously appear to many readers as biased so it would likely not be worthwhile. I favor Allen in the debate. If any Allen product fell apart, they'd have a new product on the way to you ASAP to replace the damaged one. Many of my Allen reels have taken a beating and they all perform as when I first bought them, plus like Darwin says, the appearance is awesome. What size reel are you buying? I have used the Allen Trout reel in saltwater as well, the best test being from a 8lb redfish. It performed admirably and landed the fish with no drag problems. While I know the Lamson is a good reel, assuming that the Lamson is "better" based on no head-to-head comparisons is a bit of a misstep. I'd give the thread a few more days and see if more people who have both reels can give you a side-by-side (like Darwin did)! Boz and TB, I know you guys have run your reels through the paces and I'm not aiming any ire at you guys on this one! Just pointing out to Robert that favorable reviews for the Lamson don't equate to comparisons between the two reels.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

AJ Im in total agreement with you. As I stated I have no experience with Allen reels so I can only speak for Lamson. The only way to get a true comparison is by somebody(preferably a hard line fly man) who has used both and put them through their paces!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser