The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:53 PM

craig0331 is on a distinguished road
Default New Waders

I am new to fly fishing and am about to buy a pair of waders. Not sure if there is a big diffrence in Orvis and Simms waders on the higher end. I am looking at the Orvis Pro and Simms G3. I like the idea of rolling down the waders into pants when it is hot.

There is also the redington with a zipper in front. Which look great to get in and comfortable.

Should I get the nice ones or just buy a cheaper pair?

Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:30 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Waders

I don't have experience with Simms or Orvis, I have Patagonia (chest and pants) and Dan Bailey waders. One thing to consider with waders is the warranty, both Patagonia and Dan Baileys have been great in that department. Simms and Orvis may be very similar. Several of my friends swear by the zippered front waders. Now is a great time of year to find some close out deals on discontinued waders. Good luck!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Craig & welcome to the forum,

It comes down to several choices we have to make when buying waders. Among the top considerations are; how much time do you intend to spend in those waders & how rough you might be on them.

By 'time in the waders' I mean; long days with lots of walking. Also do you anticipate 30 days a year in them or maybe more? When we talk about being rough on waders that can be as simple as sitting on a log with some sharl broken limb stubs or passing through a brush patch that may have a few thorns mixed in. Kneeling in the gravel or even crawling into position to fish on small creeks can be real hard on the knees of some waders.

I have thought about this from several perspectives, should I buy a pair of top of the line super tough waders with 5 ply leggings that will stand whatever I give them .......... or, 4 cheep pair of waders and simply toss them when they begin to leak.

The problem arises when a leak occurs. Seldom does this happen at the very end of a day or season so..... I end up with the best that I can afford to buy. In the age of modern waders I have used Orvis Guide Weights, LL bean's Wicked Tough (discontinued) and Simms. All of these products were tough and in the end all were worth the price given the comfort they provided through the years of fishing.

My advise is, buy from a dealer and know whether they will be able to handle any problems in the first month or so that you own the waders. Orvis is renowned for their guarantee and Simms will stand behind their product. If the orvis guarantee offers a 100% in the first year and you have a shop nearby I might give them the nod.

Having to send the wader back to the manufacturer in the middle of a good season is a bummer so find out everything you can about guarantees and service before you make the move.

Ard
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Craig, Ard throws out some good points here! My latest wader interest has been the new Orvis Silver Sonic waders. If you have the opportunity to check these out, do so. They are relatively inexpensive and packed with features. Orvis is stepping their wader game up as far as I'm concerned.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks everyone. i will let y'all know which pair ends up in my closet.

Craig
Old 09-16-2012, 03:07 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Look what the local guides use too..

I'd guess Simms G3s are about the standard for most guides...
Old 09-16-2012, 08:16 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Hi Craig,
As was pointed out above, how much will you use them? And, how?
I travel as part of my job, so I carry a pair of inexpensive Frogg Togg waders on the road, for those days I can get on the water. While I have had no catastrophic problem with them, I did develope a small (pinhole) leak in the posterior while fishing in Maryland this summer (sat on rocks). My coworker had a tube of superglue in his "kit", saving me from an uncomfortable day.
Moral of the story: while I don't plan on another pair of Simms for "work", I do plan on a $2 tube of superglue.
Steve
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I've used Dan B's for years and only had 'one issue' with them. As in right out of the box 'issue.' Immediately replaced by an embarrassed sales clerk.

One other that I've read nothing but rave reviews (here and on the UK 'Mother Board') are the Orvis. Appears they're well made and the warranty is GOLD.

But once you get the waders the next buy (or same time) will be the boots. Personally the Korker Chromes (boa lace up system) and the Bee's Knees. But you do want to have the waders and typical socks with you when you try boots on. I don't have wide feet but amazing how many of these things have a very narrow laste. (sp?) Read that you're foots crammed in there; not fun.

As an example I ware a size 10 street shoe, but a size 12 boot to get enough toe wiggle room. If I'm wet wading (late summer) then I'll put on 11's.

Fred
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 PM

I ended up buying the new Orvis Sonic waders. Middle of the road on price, but looked great.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

I am a pant wader guy. The stuff I fish I never need more than that. That said I recently picked up a pair of Redington Sonic Pro pants and they are great. I grabbed them for $170 to my door. I was looking at the Orvis pant as well but the sale on the Redington made them cheaper. I am extremely happy with my purchase so far, great waders.