The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM

ranger1 is on a distinguished road
Default sage flight

is this rod any good.im looking at a used sage flight for 180 dollers .do you think i should get it.if u had experience with this rod please tell me.thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 02:52 PM

watson will become famous soon enoughwatson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: sage flight

ranger1,
I know nothing of the rod itself but when you mentioned it I thought I had seen it recently else where.
And I did it is currently on "deals on the fly" for 205$ new.
That is about all I know, on it.
Sorry I am not of better help
Cheers,
Watson
Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I wouldnt pay 180 for a used one. Sage just discontinued it and they are 40-50% off at the fly shops new. They are nice rods, not anything like their higher end rods but very nice non-the-less. Im still thinking about picking up either the 10 or 12wt at the shop
kayo likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

When I bought mine a couple years back they were listed at $340.00 so I'd say $180 is a good deal. Mine is an 8wt, very nice looking fast action rod. I found it to be finished better than a Z axis I bought recently.

edit: just noticed you said used; I agree with the post above that you can get a new one with warranty on closeout for close to that price.

Last edited by wannafish; 09-16-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM

tyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nice

I have one in a 8'6 5wt and its great. Loads very nicely and casts beautifully. Zips line out like nothing. I would definitely recommend one. Why spend spend a few hundred dollars on a rod when you can get away with spending a couple or less and still have a great casting rod.

- Tyler

Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 AM

ranger1 is on a distinguished road

i was thinking of geting a sage TXL 5 weight.is this rod any good
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sage doesn't to my knowledge make a TXL-F in a 5wt? The TXL was discontinued and the predecessor to the TXL and I don't believe that was available in a 5 weight either. I'm 99% sure the heaviest these rods have ever been made for was a 4wt.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 PM

chadzilla is on a distinguished road

If it's Sage you can pretty much assume it will be "good".
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I love my sage flight. I have the 9 foot five weight. I find it to be a great fly rod at medium to long range. Excellent at punching flies into the wind. My only complaint is it feels kinda sloppy in short range and I lose accuracy.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I have 2 sage Flights, both 9ft 8wts. I bought the first one, used it for Steelhead and smallmouth bass. When fishing smallmouth I float Rivers in my small boat using either poppers or streamers. I ended up buying the 2nd one so I can have one loaded with poppers and the 2nd loaded with a streamer. Saves time switching flies.
I am a relative newbie to fly fishing so keep that in mind.
I love my Flights. I find I can shoot out long casts (60-70 ft) with decent sized flies, I am getting better at distance and accuracy with it.
I recently bought a Z axis 9ft 9wt for king salmon and its was a beast to get used to it. Much harder than a flight. I am getting better at the z-axis but I never had the struggles with the flights that I do with the Z-axis. To get the same distance with the z I have to use hauls where I don't with the flight. I would guess the flight being a "softer" rod loads easier than a z. I may go to a 10 wt line on the z to improve my casting.

My 2 cents.