The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Sage Vantage VS. Scott A4

I am starting to look for a higher quality 9' 5wt. The Scott A4 looks pretty sweet, but I have not cast it yet. I don't know much about the sage other than it is their 'beginner' model. I like a medium fast rod capable of throwing the occasional streamer or a heavy nymph rig. It should also be able to lay down a #22 midge nicely!

Opinions from current owners please!?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 PM

irons is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Vantage VS. Scott A4

I have a scott A3 model in an 8 wt, very good rod, cast well and is a light in the hand rod. It will handle everything you listed. Over the years i have upgraded to the S4 models. You would be happy with the A4.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

i am a total jock for Sage Rods on the board, but it the case you described, i would go with an a4. I have cast both rods and the A4 is one of the best Scott rods that I have cast. It has a pretty good feel to it. I really don't like Scotts upper end rods but they seem to hit homeruns with their lower end rods. One option you may want to think about is that you could probably get a zxl in the same price range now that they are being closed out as the A4. There are actually some pretty good deals on the ZXL e bay right now. The Vantage is a little stiff, but they have great accuracy. You can pick one up for around for pretty cheap now that they are being closed out.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Without a doubt, the A4. It is more expensive, but a superior rod and will handle all the situations you describe. But, there is a big difference in price and I would consider the A4 to be a fast action rod.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have a couple of Sage Vantage rods and I like them all. I have a 3wt and a 8wt. They both cast very well and are pretty accurate. You should be able to get a really good deal on the Vantage, if you can find them now since they are discontinued. I paid 150 for my 703-4. I know my flyshop has a bunch of the 5wts left if you want one, I could probably get you a good deal on it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

The more i think about it, if you are still looking at an A4, Why don't you look at a ZXL. They are being closed out and the closeouts are consistently going for around same price as the A4 on Ebay. The vantage is a nice rod, but I doubt anyone will say it is on par with the ZXL.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I just got a Scott A4 4wt 10 footer.

You're welcome to cast it around. I bought it as a czech nymph rod, but it's proved to be way more versatile. It can cast like a mofo but it's got a super delicate tip that can handle tiny midges high sticked as well as any dry that you would want to tie on.

I haven't tried slinging streamers, but I think the tip might be a little soft to handle such a heavy fly.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 AM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Never cast a Scott, do own a 5wt Vantage and liked it very much untill I picked up a Winston 5wt Passport which has just a little bit more for me, you might want to take a look at one.

Rick
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own either of the two, but I have fished them both.

I found the A4 to be a bit more versatile. It has a wider range of payloads that could be thrown. It can handle more mass on a nymph rig (indicator, weight, two flies) better than a Vantage. It can cast a heavier sink tip lines up to 200 grains without feeling too mushy. A Vantage could handle up to 175 grains. The great thing is that you could still throw the size 22 midge with a soft presentation with an A4.

Dennis
gjcordray likes this.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Good stuff guys, thanks! I think the A4 is the one I am starting to drool over... mosca, I like what you said about 'payload range' as I really want an all around rod.