The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Rod choice your thoughts

Winston WT Trout or Scott G2 7 or 7 1/2 ft 3 wt give me your thoughts on this. Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Rod choice your thoughts

Winston would be my choice. With something that 'short,' and light weight (line wise), it well be a "Eye of the Beholder."

Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod choice your thoughts

I'll throw in with Fred on this. Since the choice is between just 2 and not a whole slew of rods and if................. money is not too tight, I have one Winston and they make a fine rod to fish with. However, I have not owned a Scott and so only comment on the one I know.

I'm not sure how your casting technique and style of presentation are leaning but in light rods I like more of a medium action for delicate close fishing. I know some guys are into wanting a 3 weight to cast 50 feet or more but if I am looking to fish that far out a 3 wouldn't be on my menu. A fellow at the Winston rod design department told me that "what Winston calls fast is most manufacturers medium" I would like to have one of their 6 weights some day just to see how they work.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Thanks looking at winston
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an 8'0 3 WT and man is that one SMOOTH casting rod. Tremendous recovery and a real pleasure to cast, fun to fish with too. Keep your stroke slow and let the rod do the work. Guess you know where I stand between the two choices you mentioned.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Having to choose between the 2, I'd also go with the Winston.
While I have no experience with the G2 series, I own several of the original G series. They are slightly faster than the Winston WT's, but aren't nearly as pretty. I use the Scott's on "bigger" waters where I might want just a bit more reach.
Steve
Old 09-18-2012, 12:59 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
A fellow at the Winston rod design department told me that "what Winston calls fast is most manufacturers medium" I would like to have one of their 6 weights some day just to see how they work.

Ard
I have the WT in a 4 and as Ard said, it is not for distance. But boy is it smooth and accurate. It is my main rod for a spring creek near here where we are fishing 18-22 emergers and duns winter/spring. It is fantastic to cast. Never tried the Scott but there are people out there who love 'em.