The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree196Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just Curious: How Many Fly Rods Do you Own

Some how i have managed to acquired 11 fly rods and 1 switch rod in the last few years. Plus i have given a couple away.

Echo Carbon 4wt
Bass Pro Shop Hobbs Creek 4wt
Sage Flight 5wt
Echo Ion 6wt
Echo Ion 7wt
Redington Crosswater 8wt
Echo Edge 8wt
TFO NXT 8/9wt
Echo Ion 9wt
Echo S3 12wt
Old Heddon bamboo rod 7ish wt

Heritage Switch Rod 7/8/9wt

lol
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Uh, only one, a Redington RS4 5wt. I don't know where all those others came from. I found most of them. That's my story to the wife and I'm stikin' with it!
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
Uh, only one, a Redington RS4 5wt. I don't know where all those others came from. I found most of them. That's my story to the wife and I'm stikin' with it!
Yeah, all mine fell off the back of the truck.....
Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The other day I answered an ad in the paper where a father, son and daughter were wanting to get into fly fishing and were look for equipment.... for free I imagine.
So I'll be reducing my "quiver" soon. At least by 2-3 rods and a couple of reels plus some matching lines.
Maybe some trout nets, tying material and a couple of pairs of waders too.
This is the third time that I've done this.
I'm such a horder
mrfzx and wannafish like this.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The other day I answered an ad in the paper where a father, son and daughter were wanting to get into fly fishing and were look for equipment.... for free I imagine.
So I'll be reducing my "quiver" soon. At least by 2-3 rods and a couple of reels plus some matching lines.
Maybe some trout nets, tying material and a couple of pairs of waders too.
This is the third time that I've done this.
I'm such a horder
Did I mention that I'm wanting to get into fly fishing Rip Tide.....?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 PM

megatron is on a distinguished road

I currently own seven rods:

PHY Para 15 8' 0" 6wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 8' 0" 6wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 7' 6" 5wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 7' 0" 4wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 6' 9" 4wt 2pc
Redington Classic Trout 8' 6" 5wt 4pc
Redington Classic Trout 8' 0" 4wt 4pc

The Zhu Bamboo 6942 is a pleasure to cast and is my favorite rod. The Zhu 7652 is also a joy to use. They aren't heirlooms but I don't plan on getting rid of them ever.

The Redington CTs are my only graphite rods after I sold my Sage ZXL 8644. The ZXL was a great rod, but the CTs perform just as well to me and I got both CTs combined for less than a third what I got for the ZXL.

I'm giving the Zhu Bamboo 8062 and 7042 rods to my nephew in WA since he has ready access to streams and rivers and is starting to fish. Those two rods should cover his fishing needs.

The PHY P15 is a clone that I like but don't love. I will keep it for the times I need a 6wt, which isn't often.

So I may end up with just five soon. That would be fine.

Take care.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I have WAY more rods, than the next wife will ever know about.
cletus and noreaster like this.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
I currently own seven rods:

PHY Para 15 8' 0" 6wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 8' 0" 6wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 7' 6" 5wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 7' 0" 4wt 2pc
Zhu Bamboo 6' 9" 4wt 2pc
Redington Classic Trout 8' 6" 5wt 4pc
Redington Classic Trout 8' 0" 4wt 4pc

The Zhu Bamboo 6942 is a pleasure to cast and is my favorite rod. The Zhu 7652 is also a joy to use. They aren't heirlooms but I don't plan on getting rid of them ever.

The Redington CTs are my only graphite rods after I sold my Sage ZXL 8644. The ZXL was a great rod, but the CTs perform just as well to me and I got both CTs combined for less than a third what I got for the ZXL.

I'm giving the Zhu Bamboo 8062 and 7042 rods to my nephew in WA since he has ready access to streams and rivers and is starting to fish. Those two rods should cover his fishing needs.

The PHY P15 is a clone that I like but don't love. I will keep it for the times I need a 6wt, which isn't often.

So I may end up with just five soon. That would be fine.

Take care.
I applaud your generosity in giving the bamboo rods to your nephew, but knowing what I know after years of fly fishing, starting out with a bamboo rod is.....interesting. I'd be afraid I would break it learning how to cast, and those bad boys are expensive.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I have enough to forget how many. I'd have to look to write down the models and tapers.
Size;
5- 3wt
1- 4wt
1- 5wt
3- 6wt

Material;
2- bamboo 3wt
1- bamboo 4wt
1- bamboo 5wt
3- graphite 3wt
1- graphite 6wt
2- glass 6wt
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM

megatron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I applaud your generosity in giving the bamboo rods to your nephew, but knowing what I know after years of fly fishing, starting out with a bamboo rod is.....interesting. I'd be afraid I would break it learning how to cast, and those bad boys are expensive.
Thanks, Nick. I understand your trepidation.

My nephew already fishes with one of my brother's graphite rods. I think it is also a Redington Classic Trout. He is enjoying it quite a bit from what I hear. He fishes the Snoqualmie River and Lake Sammamish with his dad. I figure that if he uses a bamboo rod early and likes it, then so much the better for him. Each rod has two tips, so if he should break one, then he won't be out of a rod. It's also his birthday coming up, and he's a decent kid, so it's all good.

Take care.