The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree196Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just Curious: How Many Fly Rods Do you Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned hunting gear, I'm buying my son a shotgun. If you had to choose a low priced pump 12 guage what would it be? I've looked at Remington 870 Express, Winchester SXP, and Weatherby PA-08 (all online).
Inexpensive ? Look at the Mossberg 500. Very reliable, very customizable. Lots of inexpensive options available. Easy to change barrels and and stock length.
wannafish likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

You can get the 870 super mag for around 300 dollars, chambered for 3 1/2 mags. But you can shoot ANY 12guage round in it. Outta last the lad for many a year,,,even if he never shoots a 3 1/2 mag in it. But he'd have that option if he ever gets deep into spring gobbler hunting. Honest, you can kill a gobble 75 yards with a 3 1/2 round. I personally have killed them at about 65 yards. More than once.

But I don't know you son ,,his size ,age,,etc,,,,be assured though,,the 3.5 is for a full size man. And one that isnt recoil sensitive at that.

I bunny hunt with the same shotgun however. Just got me extra chokes for it,,and about anything is covered.

Good luck to the young man,,,it's encouraging to hear you getting him in outdoor adventures.

Mike
wannafish likes this.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM

hairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to behold

On the question of how many fly rods... If you were to ask The Speaker of the House, she'd no doubt say "Too many..." If you then asked me, I'd answer "Not nearly enough..." And, if you went for the "tie-breaker" and posed the question to our fly-fishing daughter, Jesse-- she owns a fair share of her own fly rods --she'd opt out of the mix by pleading the Fifth and leave it at that. Smart kid...

As for the hunting/shotgun issue? I'm considering the prospects of "refurbishing" a 1950's 16-gauge Ithaca Model 37 pump for a little ruffed grouse and woodcock hunting. My duck/goose hunting days are long behind me...
Old 08-25-2013, 08:29 PM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned hunting gear, I'm buying my son a shotgun. If you had to choose a low priced pump 12 guage what would it be? I've looked at Remington 870 Express, Winchester SXP, and Weatherby PA-08 (all online).
Well, I am an absolute bird brain, duck & goose chasing is my passion. My personal choice would be the 870 100% all the way. They have been the weapon of choice for many, many years of thousands of hunters. Probably the most popular pump gun ever.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
I'm considering the prospects of "refurbishing" a 1950's 16-gauge Ithaca Model 37 pump for a little ruffed grouse and woodcock hunting.
That would be awesome! Love to see pics of the process if you go ahead with it!
wannafish likes this.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
Well, I am an absolute bird brain, duck & goose chasing is my passion. My personal choice would be the 870 100% all the way. They have been the weapon of choice for many, many years of thousands of hunters. Probably the most popular pump gun ever.
Thanks for the response;
Now, are you referring to the Express or the more expensive Wingmaster? I had read some reviews that were negative toward the performance and quality of the Express but I wonder if those individuals were misusing the gun or had a beef of some sort against Remington.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I've owned wingmasters and all the way to the express. Never a problem with an 870. Had a dozen of them I bet. I've owned dozens of Remington firearms and not a lemon in the bunch. I actually like the new synthetic stock/matt finish guns..and they are cheaper because of it. If you get down and dirty hunting, synthetic can't be beat.

Not that a warm piece of figured walnut doesn't warm my heart..it surely does.

I'm one of the biggest fans of the model 700 alive.

Mike
wannafish and gzarboni like this.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the response;
Now, are you referring to the Express or the more expensive Wingmaster? I had read some reviews that were negative toward the performance and quality of the Express but I wonder if those individuals were misusing the gun or had a beef of some sort against Remington.
The quality in the Express probably wont be as nice as the Wingmaster but it's still the same platform, either one will do the job.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

I've got about a hundred rods...all Powell. And I have 4 shotguns. Aside from the single shot Savage I started with as a lad my others are all 1100s - best gun ever made.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Well I took my son to the gun dealer and let him handle them; we both decided we liked the Weatherby PA-08 the best in the 3 to 5 hundred dollar class. this one was $400.00 plus tax but they allowed us $200.00 on my old Savage over/under 30-30/20 guage. I would get the wood stock if it was for me but Aaron liked the synthetic. Thanks to you guys who gave your input; it all helps the process!

Click the image to open in full size.

I've been told that the most beautiful thing in a man's world is a woman but shotguns and flyrods surely take second place

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:14 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

nice shotgun...and i like that rod tube in the bottom picture

I have two of those now....5 and 7wt. I have only bought 2.....maybe 3 rods this year. Yeah 3. Two classic trout's ( 2wt and 5wt ) and a TCX 7wt. Sooooo now I have too many to fit in my rod holder, storage corner. Guess I need to build something else even bigger to hold them.
wannafish likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher