The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree196Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 02:32 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Just Curious: How Many Fly Rods Do you Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
We did and yes it has.

...And I am building a 17' 11wt. (so I can hit Canada with a fly.)

)
What province in Canada? Were you thinking northern or more central?

I've seen them catch salmon in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Beautiful fish.

One of my fly fishing dreams is to hit Labrador for the trophy brookies.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Wow that's quite a fleet you have there.
That's an incredible collection he's got. I have seen them, most of them anyway. He adds them faster than I get out to see him and the ever expanding collection. I agree with Chi's sentiment: one can never have too many rods, or gear for that matter!

My collection is more modest in comparison. 11 so far and growing.

380-3 Winston WT
386-4 Sage XP

470-3 Sage TXL
486-4 Winston BIIX
489-5 Sage SLT
490-4 Sage Z Axis
490-4 Hardy Zenith--needs a new home!

590-4 Sage Z Axis
590-2 Sage Launch

6110-4 Sage Z Axis

7100-4 Winston BIIX
chi flyfisher and noreaster like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 09-19-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

It looks like 16 unless I have one stashed in the closet that I forgot about. Every time I think about selling one I take it out for one last trip and rediscover why I liked it in the first place and end up keeping it.

276 St. Croix Ultra
386 ZXL
476 St. Croix Imperial
480 Mitchell IM6 (the one that started it all; labeled as a 5/6 wt but fishes well with a 4wt line)
480 Orvis Western
486 Winston WT
486 Winston BiiT
490 Z-Axis
579 Orvis Far & Fine (X2)
586 Orvis Henry's Fork (X2)
680 Orvis Trout
690 RPL
690 Z-Axis
690 St. Croix Imperial

Rich
noreaster likes this.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Ok this is embarrassing, but they have been collected over many years.

Orvis PM10 8'3" 4wt.
Orvis Helios 8'6" 5wt.
Orvis T3 9' 5wt.
Orvis Superfine 7' 4wt.
Orvis Superfine 8' 6wt.
Orvis Rocky Mountain (All Rounder) 7wt.
Orvis TLS 8'3" 2wt.
Fenwick HMG 9' 5wt.
Sage SLT 8'6" 4wt.
Sage Bass Series Smallmouth 7'11" (I believe 290 grain)
Cabelas Stowaway 7 9' 6wt.
Cabelas Stowaway 6 9' 8wt.
G Loomis GL 3 9' 8wt.
Hexagraph Classic 7' 5wt.
March Brown Hidden Waters 9' 6wt.

I know I dont need this many rods, and I know I have a few others that I am forgetting, and I have even given a few away to friends and family over the years. I cant help it. I am a gear addict.

Tony
chi flyfisher and noreaster like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
just one, but i only started Fly Fishing 3 month ago.

1. Orvis Clearwater 9' -4pc -5wt

but i've been looking at new rods, and on next to get list:
i want a 3 wt for these small SoCal creeks and im thinking 7wt for bigger stuff (maybe some Carp fishing or some light duty salt water fishing)
Hi romani.
It's good to see you are already becoming a dedicated Fly Fisherman like the rest of us.
Like many others I know what it's like,you buy a New Rod,then you automatically have to have a new Reel & Line to go with it.
The end result being,you can't actually remember offhand how many Rods, Reels & Lines you have,most of which gets used occassionally as we all have our favourite Rods,all they really do is take up space where you could put/store something else.
I suppose it's one of the Good Diseases to have as I learnt my lesson years ago,if you get rid of something,you can bet you will need it The Next Day or Down THe Track as to speak.
Brian.
romanl and noreaster like this.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 09-20-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Let's see...

3wt Fenwick HMG built on an early model blank found is a storage shed
4wt 7' built on a blank from Jann's Netcraft (my first build)
5wt 8' 6" Rainforest II (my latest build)
6wt 9' built on an American Tackle 4pc blank
8wt 9' rebuilt rod from Gander Mt (Quarrow blank)
8wt 8'6" rebuilt fiberglass Berkeley Buckaneer from early '70s (my first flyrod, bought at auction for $8, total investment $38)
8wt 8'6 Shakespeare Wonderod (bought at auction this year still in original cardboard tube)

So I have seven for now. The Fenwick is probably the closest to high-end. The only one I didn't build or rebuild is the Wonderod. My favorite rod is always the one in my hand, but I have a special affection for the crappy old Berkeley, which turned out to be one of the prettiest, easy casting rods I've ever fished with.

Rods are like women. Each one dances different, but they are all worth a good dance.
Rip Tide and noreaster like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
480 Mitchell IM6 (the one that started it all; labeled as a 5/6 wt but fishes well with a 4wt line)
I wish I still had my first fly rod. I snapped the tip off it trying to pull the loop through the top of the rod. I was so jacked that day. It was an old Cortland rod that must have been a 3 or 4 weight. I don't even remember. It had a slip ring reel seat and was short. I wanted to fish a fly rod so bad on that trip that I spent just under $100 on a replacement St. Croix 5/6 wt. rod that my nephew still has - by far the largest investment I'd ever had in a "fishing rod" at that point in my life. I fished that rod for many years and added a couple other St. Croix sticks that my nephew was just gifted this year. But that first Cortland rod. Man it was sweet. I caught my first fish on a fly with that rod on a stocked trout stream on a pink sucker spawn that I had because I fished ss off a noodle rod for Erie, PA steelhead. Couldn't believe I actually caught a trout on it. Fishing in skinny fast water that I couldn't fish with bait. I fished the rest of the day alone with that rod after all my buddies went home and had a blast pounding them on that rod. One of my favorite days fishing ever. Bait with my buddies all morning catching them then grilling them while watching the NFL draft. Then out for a spin with a fly rod using flies for the first time and having an absolute ball.

Your comment triggered a great memory for me. Thanks.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 and noreaster like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I wish I still had my first fly rod. I snapped the tip off it trying to pull the loop through the top of the rod. I was so jacked that day. It was an old Cortland rod that must have been a 3 or 4 weight. I don't even remember. It had a slip ring reel seat and was short. I wanted to fish a fly rod so bad on that trip that I spent just under $100 on a replacement St. Croix 5/6 wt. rod that my nephew still has - by far the largest investment I'd ever had in a "fishing rod" at that point in my life. I fished that rod for many years and added a couple other St. Croix sticks that my nephew was just gifted this year. But that first Cortland rod. Man it was sweet. I caught my first fish on a fly with that rod on a stocked trout stream on a pink sucker spawn that I had because I fished ss off a noodle rod for Erie, PA steelhead. Couldn't believe I actually caught a trout on it. Fishing in skinny fast water that I couldn't fish with bait. I fished the rest of the day alone with that rod after all my buddies went home and had a blast pounding them on that rod. One of my favorite days fishing ever. Bait with my buddies all morning catching them then grilling them while watching the NFL draft. Then out for a spin with a fly rod using flies for the first time and having an absolute ball.

Your comment triggered a great memory for me. Thanks.

Cheers,
Mike.
Good stuff right there mate. I remember the day you broke that Cortland and the trip to the shop to buy that St. Croix. Jacked is a pretty accurate description! Good memories of great trips, with the exception of breaking that rod of course.
noreaster likes this.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:29 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
Let's see...

3wt Fenwick HMG built on an early model blank found is a storage shed
4wt 7' built on a blank from Jann's Netcraft (my first build)
5wt 8' 6" Rainforest II (my latest build)
6wt 9' built on an American Tackle 4pc blank
8wt 9' rebuilt rod from Gander Mt (Quarrow blank)
8wt 8'6" rebuilt fiberglass Berkeley Buckaneer from early '70s (my first flyrod, bought at auction for $8, total investment $38)
8wt 8'6 Shakespeare Wonderod (bought at auction this year still in original cardboard tube)

So I have seven for now. The Fenwick is probably the closest to high-end. The only one I didn't build or rebuild is the Wonderod. My favorite rod is always the one in my hand, but I have a special affection for the crappy old Berkeley, which turned out to be one of the prettiest, easy casting rods I've ever fished with.

Rods are like women. Each one dances different, but they are all worth a good dance.
It's great that you can take a less expensive rod and rebuild it to make it your own. I now have a hankering to build my own rod someday. My first rod was a Fenwick Blachawk graphite made in canada. It is an 8 wt. I fished for small trout all my life. Now that I know a little more about the logistics of fly fishing I have come to appreciate it a little more as it has now landed some monster rainbows, the size more fitting to the wt. I do love the old vintage rods.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:12 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Not sure the exact number. Will have to look & get the details to list them correctly.

There are 2 old fiberglass rods, a custom 3 wt, & a custom 4 wt. A 6 wt Cabela's rod, an 8 wt, a 10 wt, and 3 9 wt's, plus a Scientific Anglers 7 wt.

The 8, 9's & 10 are Diamondback, Redington & TFO rods.

So, that's 11
noreaster likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!