The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default refurbished rods? yey or ney?

so i was at Orvis outlet this past weekend, and they have lots of refurbished rods, all seem to have brand new cork, and look /feel good in hand.
of course you do not get any warranty.

i didnt spend too much time looking at rods, but i remember seeing some high end Orvis rods like superlight, and price was fraction of what new one cost *(1/4 to 1/3)

do any of you guys buy refurbished rods?
i would love to expand my rod count, but if i can do it and save some money, would be even better.

thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: refurbished rods? yey or ney?

I buy em used with a warranty...
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'd love to find a 9ft, 4wt Superfine,, used with warranty card.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

yea how exactly do you find them used with warranty?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
yea how exactly do you find them used with warranty?
1. Some fly shops occasionally have used gear...
2. Classified ads here and like forums have good buys (often from folks you feel you know from reading their posts.)
3. Ebay

You have to know what you're looking for and/or be willing to pull the trigger when you see a good deal...
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what Mike just said. Just look at the classified section of any major fishing boards. Only thing I do is look at the posting level of the seller. High, and I'm good to go.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Not to mention a compay like Orivs always stands behind their gear. Even if you don't have the warrenty card they're not going to tie you to the whipping post over repair fees.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't have a problem buying a refurbished rod without warranty. You are buying at a fraction of the price. The only reason a new Helios costs what it does is because of the warranty. You are paying for the repairs or replacement up front. Besides, Orvis has fixed or repaired several items for me over the years that were no longer in warranty for free or for very nominal charge. All flyfisherman have different opinions of Orvis, but they are a great customer service based company.

Tony
fredaevans and medic77 like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM

thanks Tony, thats exactly what i wanted to hear.
im back on on the West Coast, but next time im on the East coast and at their outlet i might just pick me up a new rod
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem buying a refurbished rod without warranty. You are buying at a fraction of the price. The only reason a new Helios costs what it does is because of the warranty. You are paying for the repairs or replacement up front. Besides, Orvis has fixed or repaired several items for me over the years that were no longer in warranty for free or for very nominal charge. All flyfisherman have different opinions of Orvis, but they are a great customer service based company.

Tony
I'm sure that's true Tony. Orvis has been good to me, too, and I'd bet they'd take care of a guy in this situation...lot's of ways to skin a cat...-Mike