The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Ultimate Poacher???

Maybe all fly guys should become better bird hunters, Two good things come of this, one we help save the fish, two: we get more tying feathers.
Im not sure that ducks unlimeted would have the same out look tho,

Rover did ya fish walnut creek? I moved from Erie, Sure miss that creek. How was the fishing there?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Read this and tell me what it says to you, cut and pasted excerpt from the link.

Mallard

The mallard is a common species of waterfowl that frequents northeastern aquaculture facilities. However, the predation problems it poses occur in isolated situations. Where predation situations do occur, mallards achieve extremely high densities throughout the day and have adapted to feed in trout raceways stocked with high densities of smaller fish. In these situations, mallards generally consume 4 fish per hour, with the fish averaging 4, but sometimes reaching 6, inches in length. In other situations, mallards may feed on only aquatic vegetation or fish feed, so careful observations are essential to determine whether losses of fish are occurring.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-04-2008, 07:30 PM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough

Key words in that extract are "aquaculture facilities" - hatcheries.

Amazing a mallard can eat so much. I think the real predator on the stream is the blue heron at a capacity of 2.2 fish per hour - granted all the stats in that article are hatchery based and are probably the max they can snag since the conditions are probably optimal.

Wish I could fish that well!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Another key word would be "isolated situations", I would hate to see people go away with the idea that a Mallard is a threat to the fish population.

The Mallard by nature is not a meat eater, and prefers aquatic vegetation and insects.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysmith9865 View Post
Maybe all fly guys should become better bird hunters, Two good things come of this, one we help save the fish, two: we get more tying feathers.
Im not sure that ducks unlimeted would have the same out look tho,

Rover did ya fish walnut creek? I moved from Erie, Sure miss that creek. How was the fishing there?

I wouldn't mind a few extra feathers.

I havent gotten around to walnut lately. Elk has been prime so far this season. But the first time up this year we hit walnut and did very well.
It's a shame that you had to move a way from such a wonderful place.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:28 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Anybody ever calculate the nuber of birds domestic cats kill...the number is equal to or greater than the number of fish the birds poach.

I guess it all evens out.

If I find the link I will post it.