The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By racine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Fishin w/ forum members

Well, dharkin finally made it to Montana and I got to meet a forum member for the first time. Dan has been planning his trip here for over a year in that time we've used the PM here a lot. Last Sunday I met him and his buddy and took them one of my favorite spots. It was a lot of fun finally meeting and fishing together. We caught some fish, but not like I had hoped.

We've been in touch everyday since and I've been loving the reports and trying help advise them on different options. I'm sure Dan will have a report for us all when gets back to his life, and I'm looking forward to it. Today they got into some fish, a bunch of fish, for the first time during their stay. But that's about par for the course, isn't it? You go somewhere completely foreign with high expectations, but is always takes a couple days to settle in and start to figure it out.

Anyway, I digress. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to fish with these Easterners again, I think it's their last day here. So the pressure is on me! After their 20 fish day today I'm sure I'll find the wrong spot tomorrow! Maybe I should let them decide...
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fishin w/ forum members

Hey John,

This is great to hear, my best tip for getting the fish is, don't go anywhere where you have fished in the recent past. I used to go to a spot and after knocking the spots off em, take a friend the next day or two. The results were never what I expected; I suspect it was because I had just been training the fish and many still were smarting after our go round.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good advice Ard. I had two good options today: a private access on Rock Ck via a piece of property that a friend owns, or the Blackfoot based on reports and water and less smoke. Rock Ck is pretty boney these days and three guys would really have to spread out so I wanted to hit the Blackfoot.

After my new friends bought me breakfast we headed out ... and of course had a very slow day of catching fish. Not many fish for anyone. But dang it was a beautiful day out there. I just love that place and Dan and Paul understand the difference between fishing and catching. All in all, a great day on the water and in the woods.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It seems that the catching has been off in many venues this year. between weather and water conditions there is no level of predictability on some trips. Good to hear you had a nice time together,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Good advice Ard. I had two good options today: a private access on Rock Ck via a piece of property that a friend owns, or the Blackfoot based on reports and water and less smoke. Rock Ck is pretty boney these days and three guys would really have to spread out so I wanted to hit the Blackfoot.

After my new friends bought me breakfast we headed out ... and of course had a very slow day of catching fish. Not many fish for anyone. But dang it was a beautiful day out there. I just love that place and Dan and Paul understand the difference between fishing and catching. All in all, a great day on the water and in the woods.
The best part is you got to fish with someone from the forum and I'm sure you all had a great time despite the slow fishing. Same thing happened to Kelly and I on his spring creek, but what the heck, we still had a steller time on the water together.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I loved the line 'they know the difference between fishing and catching.' That's an awesome quote. Fishing is the wonder.....catching fish is just an extra blessing.

Gonna be fishing on the South Fork of the Holston River for browns (hopefully) tomorrow. Catch or not, I expect it to be a wonderful day. This will be some new water for me and I'm totally excited tonite. Wish I had a buddy to run the streams with. Not many fly fish here...and look at me like I've lost my mind. Oh well..........LOL
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 PM

Yeah, these guys, dharkin and his buddy Paul, are fisherman in the true sense. Which made everything all the more enjoyable. And while everyone who goes on a destination fishing trip has high hopes honest fisherman know there ain't no guarantees, ever.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
The best part is you got to fish with someone from the forum and I'm sure you all had a great time despite the slow fishing. Same thing happened to Kelly and I on his spring creek, but what the heck, we still had a steller time on the water together.
But I was under the impression that Kelly's spring creek was automatic huge fish...you mean they didn't just jump out to hook themselves?

Seems like that is more the norm than exception...taking someone new to you're best honey hole, you're "stash" as skiers say, only to be skunked!

That was what happened when the first day with Dan and Paul, I took them to "cutty crick" and no one caught good fish. Go figure. But they went back without me and Paul got a couple fish over 17"!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I had a chance to fish with Blackbugger a few years ago and it was immensely beautiful trip. I regret I didn't spend more time getting to know the guy. It was as if we spent more time fishing and not getting to know each other better. I wanted To pay the guy for his troubles and gasoline and other things like lunch but he wouldn't take any of it and I felt guilty. What I've done on other club trips these days to spend more time with fellow members who are not quite as experienced Flyfisher's and trying to teach them subtleties of the sport. I guess I can always pay it forward.
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.