The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Fenwick Classic 8

My son-in-law brought over to the house a beautiful old Fenwick Fly reel that is marked Fenwick class 8. Its gold and black on the handle side. Very high quality. Any idea what I have?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fenwick Classic 8

I had a friend who used a World Class for saltwater
Good quality reel made in the '80s
Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I had this very reel.

It is non ported and heavy for the line size. Spool diameter is 3-5/8" with a width of 1-1/4" for a line capacity of 380 yards of 30 lb dacron backing plus a weight foward 13 fly line. It is convertible for right or left hand drive.

It is ANTIREVERSE to protect your fingers from injury. This is the weakness of the reel. It is not a direct drive but works by slipping. So it can begin to slip when you want to crank the line it.

My understanding is that the drag is two metal plates with lubrication of the faces. When a fish pulls out the drag, the plates heat up, the lubrication thins and the drag slips before it should and even if you crank it down, if you have a heavy tippet, you cannot stop a big fish from pulling out the line. In other words, the drag is not consistent but weakens as it heats up. That is why cork is used on many salt water reels. It is both compressible and does not heat up.

Here's a photo of my reel:

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Silvercreek
That's the reel I am speaking of. Any idea the value of it.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I sold mine at least 10 years ago. I think it went for about $400.00.

I still have my class 6 reel. I use it for Chinook Salmon.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Thanks. It is a very high quality built reel. But it is quite heavy. Would be better suited for an old Glass rod vice the new graphite ones.