The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Casting Practice at Pools (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/297380-casting-practice-pools.html)

quimby 09-21-2012 08:31 PM

Casting Practice at Pools

I'm sorry if this topic doesn't belong here. Mods, please remove or move if necessary.

I'm still very much a newbie and think I can use all the practice I can get. I have access to a community pool. Is it a bad idea to use the pool to practice my casting? I wanted to get some advice from more experienced members, before I go an ruin my fly line/leader.

TIA, to anyone who can provide any answers.

Hardyreels 09-22-2012 02:06 AM

Re: Casting Practice at Pools

Learning to put fly line down and pick it up is always preferable on water so my answer is, go to it. I spent 10 years thrashing around with a fly rod and line before I bought Tom McNally's book 'Fly Fishing by Tom McNally'. After reading the casting chapters I spent the better part of 3 months on a beautiful pool learning every cast he had described through his wonderful text and diagrams. After that I took the casting to the currents and practiced the line & fly control techniques he had written about. When I was done I was an accomplished fly caster and I still use almost every aspect of his lessons every time I fish some 34 years later.

Use your water, welcome back Quimby :)

Ard

[PS] In my own opinion there has never been a better 'How To' book published than McNally's 'Fly Fishing'. If you want The Book about how to be a fly fisherman look at your public library or on Amazon for it, 'Fly Fishing', Tom Mcnally published 1978.

rccola712 09-22-2012 06:39 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me! Just make sure not too hook anyone! :)

cockatouche 09-22-2012 06:51 AM

X2 on McNally. The first year I flyfished, I carried his "Fly Fishing" book with me like my life depended on it.

mcnerney 09-22-2012 08:02 AM

Wow, having access to a pool to practice would be awesome, especially in the colder months.

cochise 09-22-2012 08:27 AM

Having water to practice on is a bonus. Make sure you spend time learning the dynamics of the roll cast. Flat water is especially good for learning this most important cast.

klunker 09-22-2012 09:44 AM

I do alot of "casting practice" on the river. Very rarely a stupid fish will interrupt my practice and hook himself!

fredaevans 09-22-2012 10:36 AM

You might want to check out your local park department(s), I found it interesting how many Kalifornia Communities actually had casting ponds for just this purpose.

quimby 09-22-2012 01:36 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I will take advantage of the pool to get more confident in my casts.

Ard,

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a difference between "Fly Fishing" and "The Complete Book of Fly Fishing"?

Hardyreels 09-22-2012 02:13 PM

Yes there is, for what ever reason the second title, 'The Complete Book' seems to be a compilation of several of his publications. While the intent was to produce a comprehensive work using materials from previous books there is a lot that is missed. I own 'Fly Fishing' and have checked out 'The Complete Book' from the library here in Wasilla a couple years ago. After browsing the library book I ask my sister to mail me my original copy of Fly Fishing.

Please understand that the book was published in 1978 - 79, and because of that you won't find references to the modern rods and reels of today. The basic information about tackle is however applicable to all tackle. The descriptions and diagrams for casting are timeless. The books come available for low prices and when you get the chance to scoop one cheap it's worth the postage.

Ard

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockatouche (Post 485417)
X2 on McNally. The first year I flyfished, I carried his "Fly Fishing" book with me like my life depended on it.

I just spotted this; as I said, I had been thrashing around for a decade before studying the book. I still refer to it even today and his information remains accurate. Knowing that this book exists has stopped me from ever considering the writing of a 'How To' type of fly fishing book. I simply don't know what could be said that McNally didn't already say.