The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road
Default Casting Practice at Pools

I'm sorry if this topic doesn't belong here. Mods, please remove or move if necessary.

I'm still very much a newbie and think I can use all the practice I can get. I have access to a community pool. Is it a bad idea to use the pool to practice my casting? I wanted to get some advice from more experienced members, before I go an ruin my fly line/leader.

TIA, to anyone who can provide any answers.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Casting Practice at Pools

Learning to put fly line down and pick it up is always preferable on water so my answer is, go to it. I spent 10 years thrashing around with a fly rod and line before I bought Tom McNally's book 'Fly Fishing by Tom McNally'. After reading the casting chapters I spent the better part of 3 months on a beautiful pool learning every cast he had described through his wonderful text and diagrams. After that I took the casting to the currents and practiced the line & fly control techniques he had written about. When I was done I was an accomplished fly caster and I still use almost every aspect of his lessons every time I fish some 34 years later.

Use your water, welcome back Quimby

Ard

[PS] In my own opinion there has never been a better 'How To' book published than McNally's 'Fly Fishing'. If you want The Book about how to be a fly fisherman look at your public library or on Amazon for it, 'Fly Fishing', Tom Mcnally published 1978.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a good idea to me! Just make sure not too hook anyone!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

X2 on McNally. The first year I flyfished, I carried his "Fly Fishing" book with me like my life depended on it.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, having access to a pool to practice would be awesome, especially in the colder months.
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Having water to practice on is a bonus. Make sure you spend time learning the dynamics of the roll cast. Flat water is especially good for learning this most important cast.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I do alot of "casting practice" on the river. Very rarely a stupid fish will interrupt my practice and hook himself!
Hardyreels and swirlchaser like this.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to check out your local park department(s), I found it interesting how many Kalifornia Communities actually had casting ponds for just this purpose.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:36 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys. I will take advantage of the pool to get more confident in my casts.

Ard,

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a difference between "Fly Fishing" and "The Complete Book of Fly Fishing"?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yes there is, for what ever reason the second title, 'The Complete Book' seems to be a compilation of several of his publications. While the intent was to produce a comprehensive work using materials from previous books there is a lot that is missed. I own 'Fly Fishing' and have checked out 'The Complete Book' from the library here in Wasilla a couple years ago. After browsing the library book I ask my sister to mail me my original copy of Fly Fishing.

Please understand that the book was published in 1978 - 79, and because of that you won't find references to the modern rods and reels of today. The basic information about tackle is however applicable to all tackle. The descriptions and diagrams for casting are timeless. The books come available for low prices and when you get the chance to scoop one cheap it's worth the postage.

Ard

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockatouche View Post
X2 on McNally. The first year I flyfished, I carried his "Fly Fishing" book with me like my life depended on it.
I just spotted this; as I said, I had been thrashing around for a decade before studying the book. I still refer to it even today and his information remains accurate. Knowing that this book exists has stopped me from ever considering the writing of a 'How To' type of fly fishing book. I simply don't know what could be said that McNally didn't already say.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;