The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:57 AM

cowiner is on a distinguished road
Default Saratoga WY Fishing?

Well so far my fall fishing has been nonexistent. This years harvest has kept me running and the 4 of the 6 days I have had off were spent in MO for my little brothers wedding. Well just found out that my first 2 days off Oct. 1 and 2 will be spent going to Saratoga to pick up my sister-in-laws car. After complaining to my wife about fishing she quickly replied I should look for a place to fish there. So short story long I am getting half a day to fish. Is it worth looking into or should I just cut my losses. Mainly I fish streamers and and have little to no experience nymph fishing.Any ideas of good DIY filshing around that area?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saratoga WY Fishing?

The water will be low this time of year, but I would explore the North Platte. Get yourself a Medicine Bow NF map to be able to find the back roads into the river, or just drive south out of Saratoga on hwy 130 and look for the brown river access signs. Up near the CO/WY border there is an access point that you can park at and then hike into the North Gate canyon section of the North Platte (up by the headwaters), that should provide some good fishing this time of year. If you have access to a float tube or small pontoon boat then I would also look at fishing Delaney Buttes lakes (3 lakes) that are located about 10 miles west of Walden, CO. Be carefull that you stay on public land in WY as the folks around Saratoga are really picky about people fishing on their property and they own the river bottom. Oh, I almost forgot, on the northeast end of Saratoga is a lake (I think it is called Saratoga Lake) that should be fishing well this time of year and would be work exploring for a couple hours.

Larry

Larry
Old 09-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Kind of a last minute trip. May look into the area close to the wy/co border. Just like to wet a line if possible
Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome, just drive toward CO and look for the brown river access signs. It has been awhile since I have been up there (moved to Pinedale, WY), but I think that access is on the CO side, but not sure. You could also stop in at one of the fly shops in Saratoga and ask, they could probably give you the mile marker for the access into Northgate canyon. If you don't mind hiking a little, look for the 6 mile access, drive into the parking area and then hike down into the river from there, it should provide some nice fishing this time of year.

Larry

Larry
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Don't overlook the stretch just below town either. There's a few accesses, one in particular called Foote, known locally as Sheep Rock, just a few miles north of town. This is slower, more meadow-like water than the upper sections. Good streamer water if you're floating. Good dry fly water this time of year. Definitely stop into one of the shops, or call them beforehand.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM

Just found out today I am going to actually get the days off so we are Saratoga bound. I plan on taking my gear and stopping at one of the shops to see what I can find. Also picked up a book on the area so hopefully I will get a chance to at least cast a line. Thanks for the help
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Best of luck, there are lots of water in that area, this time of year it is going to be low, but if your not afraid to do a little hiking from one of the public access points along the North Platte you should be able to get into some nice fish.

Larry

Larry