The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stl_geoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Fishing in Downtown Gatlinburg

Can anybody provide any insight?

I'd much rather catch some bigger fish through town (even if they are stockers!) instead of heading into the park. I won't have much time, but I wanted to wet a line and say that I caught a fish in TN!

From the little googling that I did, I know I need a special license to fish in Gatlinburg, but that licenses is not valid in the park.

Since I'll only really have an afternoon to fish, I figure fishing in town might be my best option.

Anybody want to "guide" me for an afternoon? I'd gladly return the favor here in CO.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Fishing in Downtown Gatlinburg

It is correct that you need a special license that is only good in town. Also double check when you can fish in town since they dont allow it certain days of the week, like after stocking.

I have only caught a few fish ever in town, and they are small stockers, maybe 8-12" at best and that was for fishing pretty hard over a couple hours.

This past trip i went up into the park again, first day i went back to a spot that i have never had luck, but then I went to the same stream twice, thru soem deducion of old and new maps and i caught a ton of brookies, about one every cast. It was supurb.
lthrnk03 likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

To add to what Geoff said....I believe you need a special city permit IN ADDTION to a state issued license.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Ah...in addition...that sucks.

I thought I could get away with fishing an afternoon for $11.50.

In any case, I'm imagining it fishing much like the Blue through Silverthorne, or the Yampa through Steamboat.

Anybody have any input on flies? I'm thinking pheasant tails and hare's ears in size 16-18, and midges size 18-20.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Too small.

Yellow and orange humpys in 10-14, any nymph thats green yellow or orange in a 14-16 size. If I can get the time, I'll color on a google map where i have seen and caught fish in town.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Too small.

Yellow and orange humpys in 10-14, any nymph thats green yellow or orange in a 14-16 size. If I can get the time, I'll color on a google map where i have seen and caught fish in town.
Much appreciated! I've heard the green weenie is a deadly pattern out there...
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

The Little Pigeon is only a couple of miles up the road. I fished it last year and while I didn't have great luck with the fish. It was a great river.