The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone ever land a Paiute cutthroat trout

I saw this article on the Paiute cutthroat trout on the Orivs News site and it made me wonder if anyone on the forum has ever gone after and caught a Paiute cutthroat trout (claimed to be the world's rarest trout)?

http://www.orvisnews.com/FlyFishing/Paiute-Trout.aspx

Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone ever land a Paiute cutthroat trout

and i left a comment on there asking: is there some semi-official list of some of the rarest trouts in USA?
i'd love to have a short list of some rare trout that i can try and fish in different states.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
and i left a comment on there asking: is there some semi-official list of some of the rarest trouts in USA?
i'd love to have a short list of some rare trout that i can try and fish in different states.
Very interesting question, if there is such a list I'd like to see it also.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM

gutz1 is on a distinguished road

I had a calender that showed quite a few rare trout in the western US. It seemed that many were in the Ruby mountains and the Eastern Sierras.

Has anyone done any fishing near Elko? I think it'd be awesome to check out some of those waters.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

This is one of the trips I really want to do and I have just not had the time and opportunity so far to make it. Because I have family located in gardnerville nevada now, probably one of the closer inhabited areas to markleeville and silver king creek, I will have a lot more incentive to pass up all the killer fishing on the way and finally make it up there. Silver king creek above llewelyn falls and a handful of other small creeks are the last watersheds this species exists in and I think it makes it the rarest out there. The story and feeling of being able to say that you caught the rarest trout is definitely worth the trek.

In the sierras there are a few varieties of very rare trout such as kern river golden, kern river rainbows, volcanoe creek goldens, lahontan cutts and colorado cutts. The colorado cutts were transplanted into some of the sterile high sierra lakes and from what I have heard they remain some of the only pure strains of the species left.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by nicknick222; 09-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I'm down for rare trout too...

I know the Apache and Gila trout both have smaller populations in NE Arizona and New Mexico.

They are on my life list and so is the CA Heritage Trout Challenge.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

I have not yet caught a Paiute. I have, however, caught an Alvord cutthroat, which are still considered extinct. So I'd say an Alvord cutthroat is more rare than a Paiute.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
I have not yet caught a Paiute. I have, however, caught an Alvord cutthroat, which are still considered extinct. So I'd say an Alvord cutthroat is more rare than a Paiute.
Any chance you have a photo, would love to see an Alvord cutthroat if you do.

Larry

Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Very interesting question, if there is such a list I'd like to see it also.
me too,
im a complete noob, but if there are some experts out there that can share/put together such small list for USA, that would be amazing.
i would definitely try to catch all the rarest trouts, just imagine all the trips/adventure to get to those fish.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Best book out there regarding trout and salmon...
Trout & Salmon of North America
by, Robert Behnke
illustrated by, Joseph Tomelleri
mcnerney likes this.